Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

          
  1. #21
    Registered Member Old Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Juan Capistrano CA
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Thanks Nick for the feedback.

    PH scale goes from 0 to 14. Normally, we think of neutral as being 7.0. However, it is not wrong to have a range for that definition.
    Distilled water has a PH of 7.0, salt water 8.0, milk and saliva are about 6.3.
    So milk is the stuff in milk shakes that I readily put into my tummy.
    That saliva stuff is what the pretty girls used to leave on my cheek when she kissed it.
    OK, I can be pretty neutral on that.

    Thanks for the update, I did look for my slide rule in case we needed it. I think it must be stored in the same place as my youth.

  2. #22
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Fairmont, MN
    Age
    76
    Posts
    1,428
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Slide rule? EEEGH-that's how to make SOME folks really feel old! LOL!

    Bill

  3. #23
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    Here are a couple pictures from an upcoming video we filmed on this product! The white car below went from a light due of yellow to a crazy bright white! It was really impressive! The audi wheels at the bottom started turning purple before I could even finish spraying the entire wheel down!



    Hi Nick - Is it safe to say this product removes all wax and sealant? Or is an IPA wipe down after second still recommended before applying sealant/wax? Thanks!!

  4. #24
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Anyone else know if products like this generally remove some or all wax/sealant?

  5. #25
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,401
    Rep Power
    1138

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Quote Originally Posted by parker23 View Post
    Anyone else know if products like this generally remove some or all wax/sealant?
    D1801 may compromise your existing wax to some extent, depending on whether it's a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant, and how long ago it was applied (ie, how much is really still there). But since this product is generally used as part of a decontamination process prior to more extensive correction work, whether or not it will strip wax is usually not a major concern. Everything else you're going to be doing will take care of that!

    Now, if you're asking because you want to strip wax as part of a full decon process prior to machine polishing, then the answer remains the same - it will likely compromise the existing wax at the very least. Again, since you're going to be doing other steps (claying is likely still needed as this product primarily attacks ferrous contaminants) then you'll be pretty effectively killing off that remaining wax/sealant.

    If you happen to have a paint coating on the car, this will not knock it down.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  6. #26
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    31
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Thanks!!! Is it better to spray on dry paint and wheels or wet?


    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    D1801 may compromise your existing wax to some extent, depending on whether it's a carnauba wax or a synthetic sealant, and how long ago it was applied (ie, how much is really still there). But since this product is generally used as part of a decontamination process prior to more extensive correction work, whether or not it will strip wax is usually not a major concern. Everything else you're going to be doing will take care of that!

    Now, if you're asking because you want to strip wax as part of a full decon process prior to machine polishing, then the answer remains the same - it will likely compromise the existing wax at the very least. Again, since you're going to be doing other steps (claying is likely still needed as this product primarily attacks ferrous contaminants) then you'll be pretty effectively killing off that remaining wax/sealant.

    If you happen to have a paint coating on the car, this will not knock it down.

  7. #27
    Registered Member HCAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    After our first couple of weeks in use, I'm convinced this product is on par with our previous iron (X) decontaminator, and priced better. Thanks for filling another spot in the detailing arsenal.

    Quote Originally Posted by parker23 View Post
    Thanks!!! Is it better to spray on dry paint and wheels or wet?
    parker, I'd add that in most cases you'll use this on a wet car, after all you want to wash most of the dirt and debris off before applying the Iron Decon. Where I wouldn't dry the car before applying, it is beneficial to spray it on a surface that has drained itself of MOST of the rinse water after washing. If you apply it while the car is still flooding water off the surface you're likely to wash away a good portion of your Iron Decon. If you apply it to a bone dry area, just make sure that you don't allow the Iron Decon to dry while you're waiting for it to do its job.

    So my answer is YES and NO.

  8. #28
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    7,936
    Rep Power
    90

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Quote Originally Posted by parker23 View Post
    Thanks!!! Is it better to spray on dry paint and wheels or wet?
    I would agree with HCAD's recommendation below, regarding whether to use on dry or wet paint.

    Quote Originally Posted by HCAD View Post
    After our first couple of weeks in use, I'm convinced this product is on par with our previous iron (X) decontaminator, and priced better. Thanks for filling another spot in the detailing arsenal.


    parker, I'd add that in most cases you'll use this on a wet car, after all you want to wash most of the dirt and debris off before applying the Iron Decon. Where I wouldn't dry the car before applying, it is beneficial to spray it on a surface that has drained itself of MOST of the rinse water after washing. If you apply it while the car is still flooding water off the surface you're likely to wash away a good portion of your Iron Decon. If you apply it to a bone dry area, just make sure that you don't allow the Iron Decon to dry while you're waiting for it to do its job.

    So my answer is YES and NO.
    Happy to hear!
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

  9. #29
    I like shiny xantonin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Age
    31
    Posts
    715
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    This may not be a fair comparison, but I am curious on the differences - how does this compare to Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner?

  10. #30
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Meguiar's D1801 Professional Wheel & Paint IRON DECON

    Quote Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
    This may not be a fair comparison, but I am curious on the differences - how does this compare to Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner?
    I'd like to know this too. Both are iron decontaminators in a gel preparation.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner stripped paint off my wheel.
    By NolanR in forum Customer Service Hotline
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Aug 13th, 2018, 08:48 AM
  2. DUB Wheel Cleaner / Iron-X
    By Super Dave in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Sep 18th, 2015, 06:38 AM
  3. Meguiar's Professional ULTIMATE APC
    By KidDetailer in forum New Product Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 12th, 2013, 01:09 AM
  4. Meguiar's on cast iron?
    By 100kdown in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM
  5. 2001 BMW M3, Paint Decon and Correction
    By RaskyR1 in forum Show Off Your Latest Detail Work
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •