• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus- 'Benchmark of Waxes'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus- 'Benchmark of Waxes'

I've been using the Meguiar's Gold Class for about five (5) years; 'love it'. Shine, glow and smoothness all comprise a quality carnauba paste wax. Hope this wax does not disappear.

1.) What is the cure time of the aforesaid wax and can you add an additional coat after cure time? I've read a synopsis by Michael Stoops which is very informative, and highly regarded. I believe that Michael states that a second coating will remove the solvents of the first coat. One coat seems to do the job fine but would like to apply a secondary coat. Any and all replies are most welcome.

Romans 3:20

Re: Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus- 'Benchmark of Waxes'

Originally posted by synoptic12 View Post
    I've been using the Meguiar's Gold Class for about five (5) years; 'love it'. Shine, glow and smoothness all comprise a quality carnauba paste wax. Hope this wax does not disappear.

1.) What is the cure time of the aforesaid wax and can you add an additional coat after cure time? I've read a synopsis by Michael Stoops which is very informative, and highly regarded. I believe that Michael states that a second coating will remove the solvents of the first coat. One coat seems to do the job fine but would like to apply a secondary coat. Any and all replies are most welcome.

The second coat is to mostly ensure coverage.

The wax itself does not layer.

I personally find this wax to be tougher than people give it credit for.

Comment

Thanks very much. I certainly agree. Washed the car two times with Meguiar's Crystal Car Wash and the wax is still present. I'll just stay with the one coat.

Comment

The solvents of the first coat will have completely evaporated by the time you went to apply a second coat. The solvents in the second coat would almost "resuspend" the wax in its new batch of solvent and would help ensure even coverage.

It's similar to the concept of removing dried compound residue by applying fresh compound and allowing the solvents to reactivate the fluid characteristics of the previously dried compound. With wax, however, the goal is to ensure full coverage rather than remove old product.

Comment

To be quite honest, I could never understand the concept of "full coverage". If the solvents in the secondary coat reactivate the initial, or primary coat, does that mean the base layer is taken away by applying an additional layer of wax?

* Not any have addressed the 'cure time' as to whether this aspect has any significance; i.e. > reapplication. So, by applying a secondary coat of carnauba, are you saying it will or will not remove the base, or first layer, of wax?

* I believe that Drumdan has presented the key I was seeking, 'The wax does not layer'.

Comment

My understanding from other materials would say the wax isn't exactly being removed. It's being resuspended and placed down again. Think of it this way. You put down 10mL of a suspension. The solvent evaporates off and you are left with 5 grams of a solid product (such as wax). When you put another 10mL of the solvent down, it will dissolve the previous 5 grams back into it, in addition to its inherent solids and in a perfect world you would now have 10 grams of solids suspended in your 10mL to distribute.

Now the real world rarely works like that. In most cases wax doesn't really layer, but by going and trying to apply a second coat, you give yourself a greater chance of not missing a spot. If you miss a small spot on the first attempt, perhaps on a second layer you hit that spot. Is it worth the added time and effort? Depends on you. In theory, the more times you pass over a surface, the more likely it is that you get 100% coverage of that surface.

Chances are this is grossly over complicating the process.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');