• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax?

I'm going on a long road trip where I won't be able to buy the real Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax spray bottle. In have limited space so I don't want to pack the car with 10 bottles of Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax. As an alternate solution, could I just take an empty spray bottle, fill with water, and add say 1 oz of Ultimate Wash and Wax soap, mix well, and then use that was a waterless wash and wax while on the road to spray, wipe clean and buff with microfiber in one step? This way I could pack just the spray bottle and the Ultimate Wash and Wax soap, and refill the bottle as necessary many times. Thanks!

Re: DIY Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax?

If you would use 10 bottles of Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax, you might want to consider Meguiars D115 Rinse Free Express Wash & Wax 128 oz.

You could transfer some to a smaller bottle, seal it tight and then dilute with water at a 4:1 ratio into a spray bottle. Other than color and smell, it is similar (not exact) to the consumer product. Keep in mind that the high heat or extreme cold of a vehicle trunk could affect product stability.

Here is a video with Mike Phillips and Jason Rose discussing D115 concentrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cICbdJocUI4

Comment

Thank you so much! I didn't know this product existed. Just ordered it on Amazon, 1 gallon for $61. The back says dilute between 4 to 1 and 20 to 1. How are you supposed to know where in the range to target?

Comment

For the D115, I mix up 4 (parts water) to 1 (part product) and also 8 to 1.

After a morning drive to a car show in light sun, I might use the 8 to 1.
        However, if dusty or warmer, I use the 4 to 1. This is my normal mixture.

At 4 to 1, that will make 5 gallons. Four gallons water and one gallon product.
        You don't have to mix it up all at once. You can mix as needed, or as I do, mix a gallon at a time.
        Think about using a Sharpie pen marking your gallon container with the amount needed o fill 1/5 the way and add the remaining 4/5 with water.

Comment

Ok thanks. How many full car washes for a moderately dirty 2 door sports car do you think you can get out of one 4 to 1 diluted 32 oz spray bottle?

Comment

Use good towel management. Fold your clean microfiber towel in half and then half again. That gives you eight sections. It also makes the towl padded as you use it. Notice in the video how Jason Rose slightly rotates the towel as he wipes. This keeps moving the dirt up and away from the paint. You don't want to push dirt into your paint. Microfiber towels can be washed and reused, so don't worry too much about using 6 to 12 towels in this process, depending on vehicle size. Just keep switching to clean sections of the towels.

Comment

I have a fairly large El Camino. Keep in mind we are washing the car. We want more lubricant than if we were just getting the lightest dust off with a detail spray. I use it at least twice as heavy, maybe 4 times heavier than detail spray if car is dusty.
              I use 16 to 24 ounces. I would rather error on the side of excessive use and get the better lubrication. Keep in mind, that 1 gallon concentrate is going to save you money, yet don't be so stingy that you don't have enough product for lubrication.

This is similar to Ultimate Wash And Wax Anywhere (old name). Note: Image below is with UWWA consumer product, which is also very good.
              Please report back and let us know how your test works out.

Comment

Wow, nice car! Yeah so at say 4oz per 32 oz bottle, and 2 washes per bottle, and $60 for the gallon of D115, that's about 60 washes per gallon, so $1 per wash. Pretty good value.

Comment

That would be a little stronger than an 8 to 1 ratio. 4 oz plus 32 oz would be 1 part product to 8 parts water = 36 oz total.
                  Start with a 4 to 1, about 6 oz plus 24 oz water. Basically, fill to 30 oz line. Then take some of that and dilute it 50:50 to get to 8:1 into another bottle for a second test set.
                  Even at $2 a wash, I am happy with 4:1. I also use it on my wheels if they are not too dirty. I wax my wheels, so stuff comes off a little easier, and this car does not get many miles.

Comment

Ok, I noticed that with UWWW, some water stains and bird poop still leave some residue after wash and wipe. Is applying a tiny bit of Ult Compound with a foam applicator, wipe off, then apply Ult Liq Wax and buff, an ok solution for that? I don't need a perfect car like yours, just good enough btw : )

Comment

Depending on the acidity of the bird's stuff. If it etches the clear coat, you may need Ultimate Compound. If it does not etch much, Ultimate Polish might get it off.
                      Yes, put a protectant back on after compounding or polishing.

You can take your 4:1 D115 and put it into a small spray bottle with a good lid and keep it in the car with a couple microfiber cloths. Bird stuff not only etches, it can lead to clear coat failure, so the quicker you get it off, the better for your paint.

Here is a good video from Larry Kosilla on best ways to remove bird droppings. It is worth watching.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');