• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about adhesive left on car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about adhesive left on car

Hello all,

I have some adhesive (I think) left on my truck hood. This was holding down a bug deflector so it was 2 sided tape. On the left in the pictures is about as good as I can get the adhesive removed. On the right, I haven't even started yet.

My process is heating the adhesive with a hair dryer (it was 40 degrees outside today, but I parked the black truck directly in the sun, and the hood was getting hot), then I tried WD40. After that didn't work, I heated it up again, then tried goo gone and a plastic razor blade scraper.

On the left now, when I run the plastic razor blade over it, it feels like there is nothing there. However when I run my thumb over it, it feels a little "sticky" or "uneven". I'm worried the paint has been damaged from the tape.

Can you guys think of anything else I can do to get all of this to come off, or repair the issue if the paint has been damaged, without repainting?

-Pat

Re: Question about adhesive left on car

First off...Welcome to MOL!

When I've had to deal with 'sticky stuff' I start with the most gentle solvent I have and dab at one SMALL area with a "Q-Tip." By gentle I am referring something like rubbing alcohol then stepping up to hotter stuff.

Make sense?

Bill

Comment

Yes it does. What would be hotter stuff than WD40 or Goo Gone?

-Pat

Comment

I have used varsol (household paint thinner) to remove road tar. It might work on the glue, doesn't hurt the clearcoat, and wax the area after you are finished.

Comment

Originally posted by pfeinauer View Post
          Yes it does. What would be hotter stuff than WD40 or Goo Gone?

-Pat
          Think along the lines of (in no particular order): denatured alcohol>paint thinner>kerosene>lacquer thinner>acetone>commercial adhesive remover. Ya wanna find something that will soften the glue so you can GENTLY scrape it off ( soft popsicle stick works good). This is why I say using a Q-Tip to see what will work. Even give a strong household cleaner a shot. Just keep rubbing the surface to a minimum-you don't want to install any unnecessary marring.

My thoughts: Don't be in a hurry to get that stuff off, just take your time. I know it can be frustrating, just keep at it.

Bill

Comment

hoppes #9 gun cleaner has worked for me with a heat gun didnt work

Comment

#9! Who whoulda thunk it?

Thanx for the insight...

Bill

Comment

be sure to let the wd40 or goo gone to sit for up to 5 minutes to allow it to work. if you spay and wipe it does not give the product time to work. Good luck

Comment

3M Adhesive Remover https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194120&rt=rud Also available in quart cans. Great for road tar removal too. Be sure to follow directions. Been using the stuff for years.

Comment

Quickest method is an eraser wheel attached to a drill. More commonly used to remove pinstripes, it'll pull the adhesive right off the paint. There are plenty of video examples on YouTube to give you an idea. Some light polishing on the paint will likely be necessary after you've removed the gunk.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');