• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlastX: for maintenance or restoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlastX: for maintenance or restoring?

I have never used "PlastX", but I was wondering if it should be used for maintaining and protecting new vehicle plastic OR should it be used strictly for restoring older plastic?

I thought that since "PlastX" removes scratches, it might be too strong or abrasive, for newer plastic.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by adreed24; Jun 19, 2005, 06:27 PM.

PlasticX is great for clearing scratched and marred plastic but you can use it as a polish. To remove the scratches it does take quite a bit of effort. But with minimal effort and a little product, it makes a great polish. PlasticX uses Meguiars diminishing abrasives so that after you work it, it turns into a polishing agent. It is great to maintain a nice clear look. Being that it is abrasive you do not want to use it too often though, however the amount of surface removal should be minimal.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have a Honda Element, which may be too new for the "PlastX", but I have an older Jeep that it would be good for.

Comment

Its never too soon for maintenance! That way it keeps you from doing extensive work in the future.
        "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

After taking care of many cars, starting at 16, I have found that what you have just said is very true.

Maintaining may take more diligence, but trying to restore a surface, or remove months of dirt, takes a lot of time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by soonercivic
            PlasticX is great for clearing scratched and marred plastic but you can use it as a polish. To remove the scratches it does take quite a bit of effort. But with minimal effort and a little product, it makes a great polish. PlasticX uses Meguiars diminishing abrasives so that after you work it, it turns into a polishing agent. It is great to maintain a nice clear look. Being that it is abrasive you do not want to use it too often though, however the amount of surface removal should be minimal.

So, if I understand it correctly, "diminishing abrasives" start out with their abrasive abilities, then after some movement, or "working in", the abrasives break down and disappear. Then, they become polishing agents, with no abrasive qualities.

Does this sound right?

Also, what other Meguiar's products use these "diminishing abrasives"? Does "Scratch X" have them?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Re: PlastX: for maintenance or restoring?

Originally posted by adreed24
              I have never used "PlastX", but I was wondering if it should be used for maintaining and protecting new vehicle plastic OR should it be used strictly for restoring older plastic?

I thought that since "PlastX" removes scratches, it might be too strong or abrasive, for newer plastic.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
              PlastX can be used for maintaining plastic in new condition, but it's probably overkill because there are other plastic products more specifically formulated for your application.

Below are all 4 of Meguiar's Plastic products, M10 Plastic polish is a non-abrasive, non-cleaning polish formulated specifically for maintaining clear plastic surfaces. This would probably be a good choice to start with.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in our two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with our M-1708 Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt.

M-1008 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $9.98

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner

Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using our two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with our M-1008 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish.

M-1708 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $9.98

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer

A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels and instrument lenses to eyeglasses, CDs and picture frames.

M-1808 ....................8 oz. (237 ml) $8.98

PlastX

This easy to use, rich gel formula quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar's exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology, (MDAT), removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. In addition, because our microscopic diminishing abrasives breakdown as you use them, PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is safe on plastic rear windows on convertible tops, aircraft windows, motorcycle fairings, face shields, headlights and taillights, instrument panels, all clear plastic boat surfaces and aquariums. Meguiar's PlastX also contains highly water-resistant polymers. These specialized hi-tech polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer. PlastX is non-toxic and does not contain any harsh solvents.

G-12310 ....................10 oz. (296 ml) $4.99
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

When PlastX is Not Enough.

I recently detailed a car whose headlights were really awful. they had this tough film which the PlastX alone could not remove on it's own, so I went for the 2000 grade Sand Paper, followed by a rub down with 2500 grade and this did the job quite nicely. It removed the film completely. After this I was left with slightly foggy/ hazy(no doubt from the sanding) headlights, which I then applied PlastX to and sure enough it cleared them up to a sparkling new condition.

Please note that if you try this you should continually apply water to the area you are sanding(wet-sanding). Can't say enough about the product. the owner was very happy... and too think he was considering purchasing new lights.
                Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

I just took some light scratches off of the screen cover case of my Plantronics CT-12 cordless phone. Looks good as new.

I think next time around I'm going to go for plastic lenses on my reading glasses so I can maintain them too.

BTW if you need some mobility in the office, the Plantronics CT-12 is great. Hook it on your belt and wear the headset and you can take calls and call out from within about 200 feet of the base unit. I'm a librarian and this has allowed me to roam freely around the library rather than be tied to my desk. Battery recharges overnight and I can use it all day.
                  It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');