• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got learnt by Meguiar's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got learnt by Meguiar's!

Spent the better part of 9 hours yesterday learning more than just the basics when it comes to detailing boats, and especially my favorite part.... using a BUFFER.

I never would have thought that I'd prefer it over hand waxing as much as I do. There really is no comparison.

Scott Clarke, from Gulf Atlantic Marketing, near Orlando, came up to teach me, and my new assistant, Seth, how to maximise our results, and how Meguiar's just flat out makes a superior product.

I wish I would have gotten more pictures, but it was such a busy day, between learning how to use which compound with which pad, pad maintenence, and running the whole gamut of professional detailing. I was EXHAUSTED... and it was a short day, compared to what I usually work (12-17 hours a day)....

Thank you Mr. Clarke!

Mr. Clarke explaining the differences between the three different buffings... MV81 with a wool pad, MV82 with a wool-pad, MV82 with a yellow foam pad.

Mr. Clarke using a yellow foam pad with #82 on a not-so-oxidized finish.

My assistant, Seth, checking out how the finish can look after 10 minutes of buffing. (if you look hard enough, you can see his reflection).

A shot of my hand to see if any reflection would show up in the badly oxidized surface.

Same spot, 5 minutes later, after using MV81 on a wool pad.

The next 3 are me using the buffer on the "brow" of the boat, you can see my reflection in them!

I can't thank the people at Meguiar's enough for helping me with all of this, and especially to Scott Clarke, who took a long day out of his busy schedule to come teach me how to make the most out of my detailing dollar. Thanks y'all!

--Evan
    Vanity
    Automotive and Marine Detailing
    "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Hi Evan,

Pictures look great and tell a great story as it sounds like this has been a breakthrough experience for you! Because many of detail jobs you're going to do in the future are going to involve oxidized gel coats over large areas, you're going to discover the rotary buffer is your friend!

I'm really glad you were able to get a picture of Scott Clark in action and casual as it's nice to be able to put a face with a name.

Now when you mentioned products, you mentioned MV81 and MV82, I just want to make sure you intended on including the V in these part numbers because without the V, you're referring to our Automotive Professional Line, with the V, you're referring to our Velocity Mold Release Line.

MV81 and MV82

I'm sure you listed these part numbers correctly as Scott Reps our entire Mold Release Line, I just wanted to confirm as over the years a lot of people will read this thread and a lot of people don't know Meguiar's manufactures a wide variety of products for a diverse group of industries including the boat manufacturing industry on the mold finishing and release side.

In fact, when polyester resin and fiber glass strands were first combined to create Fiberglas as we know and use it today back in the late 1940's and early 1950's, it was Malcolm Meguiar that created the first Mold Release Wax specifically formulated to prevent the lay-up materials from sticking to the mold so companies could create finished parts in a production environment. This first product was and is called M08 Maximum Mold Release Wax and not only is it still in production today over 50 years later, even more interesting is the formula has been unchanged and it is the worlds most trusted Mold Release Wax and I believe the most sold Mold Release Wax.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Yeah, MV81 and MV82... He brought a gallon of MV66 too, but he said that since I'm using the Flagship Marine wax, that it's not necessary to even use... it's basically MV82 with Wax. One thing I took for granted on tuesday, was even when using VERY minimal product, a little bit still does fly... and even moreso when cleaning the pads.

Apparently, my eyes took on an accumulation of the wax, and the alcohol/water mixture, and decided to turn my left contact into 3 pieces...

Had to take wednesday off work, and some of thursday... until USPS shows up with my new pair of contacts. Wasn't what I had planned, but it's my own fault for taking my sunglasses off while the buffer was spinning.
      Vanity
      Automotive and Marine Detailing
      "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Comment

Originally posted by VanityYachtDetailing
        Apparently, my eyes took on an accumulation of the wax, and the alcohol/water mixture, and decided to turn my left contact into 3 pieces...

Had to take Wednesday off work, and some of thursday... until USPS shows up with my new pair of contacts. Wasn't what I had planned, but it's my own fault for taking my sunglasses off while the buffer was spinning.
        Meguiar's always recommends wearing Safety Glasses when machine buffing. Your eyes are so important to you and especially for the kind of work you're doing. If you always wear contact lenses, then get a pair of safety glasses for work and put one of the bands on them that allow them to hang on your neck when not in use.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

^^ true but make sure its not too tight to where it might be uncomforable or too loose where it comes off.

Comment

to you and Seth!

to Scott Clarke!

PC.

Comment

I thought Meguiar's mold release products were to be used only on injection mold machine dies.
              r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                I thought Meguiar's mold release products were to be used only on injection mold machine dies.
                The boating industry and many other makers of large fiber/resin composite parts usually use open molds. They spray the gelcoat into the mold then either spray in the fiber layers or lay in cloth.

The molds themselves are negatives of the final products but they're made in much the same way. The more perfect you can make the finish on the mold (using MV polishes or course) the easier it is to remove the product and the less finish work is needed on the product.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                  The more perfect you can make the finish on the mold (using MV polishes or course) the easier it is to remove the product and the less finish work is needed on the product.

PC.
                  And this is where Meguiar's shines!
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
                    The boating industry and many other makers of large fiber/resin composite parts usually use open molds. They spray the gelcoat into the mold then either spray in the fiber layers or lay in cloth.

The molds themselves are negatives of the final products but they're made in much the same way. The more perfect you can make the finish on the mold (using MV polishes or course) the easier it is to remove the product and the less finish work is needed on the product.

PC.
                    So it's not an injection process.
                    r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                      So it's not an injection process.
                      Not usually. Look at the back of a fiberglass panel or inside of a boat hull sometime. They're typically very rough and look like somebody just soaked a bunch of fibers or cloth in glue and let it dry that way. Well, that's exactly what they did.

Lotus developed a fiberglass injection molding technique for the early Eclat/Excel/Elite/Esprit series of cars. I don't know if they still use it for the current Esprit or Elise.

I suppose some other manufacturers may be using multi piece cavity molds rather than open half shell molds for some fiberglass products but I don't know who or for what.

PC.

Comment

Thanks for filling me in.
                        r. b.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');