• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does claying remove wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does claying remove wax?

Just one of those nagging questions that popped up as I was doing some test spot comparisons between GC and NXT.

Yes, it removes prior wax application.

Comment

That solves that! Thanks

Comment

Depends how you clay. I spot-clay with every wash (have for over a decade) and it absolutely does *not* remove an appreciable amount of my LSP.

I've tried to intentionally "clay off the LSP", and I had to clay so aggressively that I felt I was claying incorrectly and risking marring the finish.

The idea is to clay so gently that you merely clean contaminants out of/off the LSP. Lots of lube, virtually no pressure.

Example: find a spot where you've inadvertently waxed over some contamination, where you can see a "dot" of something under a healthy coat of wax. Step #1- Clay that area *very, VERY* gently. You'll find that the contamination is still there, still covered by wax, but the clay might be slightly soiled from anything the clay cleaned off the LSP. Step#2- Continue claying, using more pressure, until you cut through the wax/LSP and actually remove the waxed-over contamination. You'll find that there's a big difference between what you did in Step#1 and Step #2. Step #1 is how I usually clay, for situations like Step#2 I'd rather use a paint cleaner or solvent.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Hmm. Interesting. I tend to use as little pressure as possible (just enough to keep the clay against the paint) when claying.

I guess the best way to surely and intentionally remove a previous LSP is to use a cleaner.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');