• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Sealer/Wax prep please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Sealer/Wax prep please!

This weekend, I want to apply a sealant and wax to my wife's 2015 Honda Accord. Although I wash the car every week, it is parked outside all the time so the paint will need some cleaning and prep work before I apply the sealant and wax.

I am a bit confused and perhaps overwhelmed by all the possible products and steps available to prep the car's paint. At the very least, I was planning on washing and claying the car prior to applying the sealant and wax. Two additional options I am considering are applying an Iron Decontamination solution to the paint prior to claying. I was also thinking of applying a paint cleanser after claying or perhaps using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish as a paint cleanser at this step.

Is an Iron Decon necessary if I am going to clay and cleanse/polish the paint anyway? Are there any advantages to using a dedicated paint cleanser as opposed to Meguiar's ultimate polish? I realize the answer may have a lot to do with the actual condition of the paint, which is in pretty good shape. But I am curious to hear your thoughts about Iron Decon, Paint Cleansers, and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish prior to applying the sealant and then wax.

Thank you,
    joebruin77

Re: Help with Sealer/Wax prep please!

An iron remover is optional. It is up to each individual whether it needs to be done or not. It does help.

A polish is a form of a paint cleanser. Ultimate Polish is an abrasive polish that will "clean" the paint prior to a form of protection. The abrasives within the product can remove defects. That will depend on whether it is used by hand or machine. Same can be said for a cleaner wax/All In One (AIO) type product. The difference is than an AIO will leave protection behind.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I am a bit confused and perhaps overwhelmed by all the possible products and steps available to prep the car's paint. At the very least, I was planning on washing and claying the car prior to applying the sealant and wax. Two additional options I am considering are applying an Iron Decontamination solution to the paint prior to claying. I was also thinking of applying a paint cleanser after claying or perhaps using Meguiar's Ultimate Polish as a paint cleanser at this step.
      With it being parked outside, I would say some kind of cleaning step is a good idea. But you can do it a couple ways...

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. Cleaner/Wax - This could be the red bottle cleaner/wax, ColorX, #66, etc... there is also a really nice brand new one, but dont know if it is in stored yet. But this would get you cleaning ability, and leave your first coat of protection behind.
      4. Wax - Then you can wax with whatever you choose.

Or, you could do:
      1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. Clean/Polish - This would be the Ult. Polish for most people. It will have more cleaning ability, and more polishing oils than a cleaner/wax, so can be nice, just adds a step.
      4. Wax
      5. Wax - Whichever products you wanted to use..

So just kind of adds an extra step to go a bit further... and for a daily driver, maybe not that big of a deal.

Is an Iron Decon necessary if I am going to clay and cleanse/polish the paint anyway?
      I find that things like the Iron X and TarX type products do remove or loosen a lot that would get built up on the clay, or the foam pad, making them go easier if there was a lot. Esp when it is just spray and stand back for a few minutes. The Iron products are also great for wheels...

I also tend to either use them before washing if the paint is pretty clean, or wash/decon/wash if it is dirty. Those dont always seem to come off clean for me with just a hose.

Are there any advantages to using a dedicated paint cleanser as opposed to Meguiar's ultimate polish?
      That would be for your heavier dirt, swirl/scratch removal kind of stuff...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on using Ultimate Polish with a DA polisher. If I am using the Ultimate Polish in this way, do I use a mid range cutting pad or do I use a polishing pad on the DA? I am thinking since I am not doing a major paint correction and using it more to cleanse the paint of any previous sealants and waxes that the polishing pad would be the choice. But I could be wrong.

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
        An iron remover is optional. It is up to each individual whether it needs to be done or not. It does help.

A polish is a form of a paint cleanser. Ultimate Polish is an abrasive polish that will "clean" the paint prior to a form of protection. The abrasives within the product can remove defects. That will depend on whether it is used by hand or machine. Same can be said for a cleaner wax/All In One (AIO) type product. The difference is than an AIO will leave protection behind.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. That is really helpful.

You have a really cool car, BTW. I just sold my WR Blue 2016 and I miss it a ton.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          With it being parked outside, I would say some kind of cleaning step is a good idea. But you can do it a couple ways...

1. Wash
          2. Clay
          3. Cleaner/Wax - This could be the red bottle cleaner/wax, ColorX, #66, etc... there is also a really nice brand new one, but dont know if it is in stored yet. But this would get you cleaning ability, and leave your first coat of protection behind.
          4. Wax - Then you can wax with whatever you choose.

Or, you could do:
          1. Wash
          2. Clay
          3. Clean/Polish - This would be the Ult. Polish for most people. It will have more cleaning ability, and more polishing oils than a cleaner/wax, so can be nice, just adds a step.
          4. Wax
          5. Wax - Whichever products you wanted to use..

So just kind of adds an extra step to go a bit further... and for a daily driver, maybe not that big of a deal.

I find that things like the Iron X and TarX type products do remove or loosen a lot that would get built up on the clay, or the foam pad, making them go easier if there was a lot. Esp when it is just spray and stand back for a few minutes. The Iron products are also great for wheels...

I also tend to either use them before washing if the paint is pretty clean, or wash/decon/wash if it is dirty. Those dont always seem to come off clean for me with just a hose.

That would be for your heavier dirt, swirl/scratch removal kind of stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by joebruin77 View Post
            Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on using Ultimate Polish with a DA polisher. If I am using the Ultimate Polish in this way, do I use a mid range cutting pad or do I use a polishing pad on the DA? I am thinking since I am not doing a major paint correction and using it more to cleanse the paint of any previous sealants and waxes that the polishing pad would be the choice. But I could be wrong.
            The simplest answer is to do a test spot and go from there. The polishing pad may be all that you need.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');