• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazy Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Detailing

I just bought a new Honda Odyssey and have come here looking for products that would be "good enough" for someone who wants to optimize the time they spend washing/waxing. I am currently using Hot Rims Tire & Wheel cleaner, Gold Class wash and Gold Class carnauba wax. My procedure is to wash the car with a wash mit using two buckets and then the wheels/tires followed by wax. I've only waxed it once but would rather make that a once or twice per year procedure.

After my current supplies run out I'm thinking of purchasing the D143 wheel cleaner and D11301 Citrus Blast Wash & Wax. I go through Hot Rims quickly so hopefully the D143 is more cost effective. My hope is the Wash/Wax will get me some more time in between waxing because the last time I wash/waxed and cleaned the interior, it took way too long. Is this a good approach? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Lazy Detailing

I do lots of quick details, and hurrying up since I can only detail when timing works out...

So, D143 will certainly be good for wheels, although I did buy the Ultimate Wheel Cleaner to use a couple times a year for deeper cleaning, and the first use seemed quite good.

You can certainly use a wash/wax product, however I find a better life span out of a spray wax, like the Ultimate Spray Wax or the Hybrid Ceramic Wax. They apply a bit differently, so be sure to look into it or ask questions about them...

Normally I do the interior a different day....

It may also be worth mentioning that the better prepped the surface is, the longer the base coat of wax can last. If I am working quick, I may do a cleaner/wax like the 3-in-1 Wax, or ColorX, etc, and then the regular wax like Gold Class, or Ult. Wax, etc. Then that lasts even longer with the spray products in between...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Lazy Detailing

To minimize time spent on upkeep, use a long lasting wax on your wheels, such as Ultimate Wax. You'll then be able to do your wheels with the same product you use to wash the paint and only need a thorough wheel cleaning a few times per year. The same holds true for tires. Something like Endurance tire dressing or the tire coating will allow you to just use a brush and your leftover soap for maintenance.
      I'm also a big fan of rinseless washing, dragging the hose out only if one of the family fleet is extremely dirty. Now that D114 is no longer available, I've had to go to other brands for my rinseless product.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');