• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morgan Park Car Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Park Car Show

Morgan Park Car Show

Yesterday, June 26, we attended the annual Gold Coast Cruisers Car Show at Morgan Park in Glen Cove, LI. This is, without a doubt, the premier car show event of the summer. Usually over 400 of only the best cars are admitted and shown. The location is a wonderful park right on the water of Hempstead Harbor (LI Sound.)

Little did I know this would turn out to be a reunion day...

In my 20's I was heavily involved in endurance racing (Daytona 24 hrs, Sebring 12, etc,) and CanAm racing. My racing partner at the time was a gentleman named Bill Wonder. I first started crewing for him as a kid (official wheel polisher and coffee getter) and eventually graduated to co owner of a McLaren M8C CanAm racer and a GT40 in which we finished Daytona in 8th place in 1970. In any case, he retired from the airlines about 20 yrs ago and seeming vanished off LI. I lost track of him until yesterday when I was walking along looking at cars at the show and there he was! Still gong strong at 70+ yrs old and showing off his newest "toy" A Ferrari 333 SP LeMans racer. This is in addition to 4 F1 cars, a stable of muscle cars, and much more. This is one serious car guy, I sure learned from him!

Anyway, lots of pictures here... http://dftowel.com/carshows/morgan05
    Leo

Great picts, and glad to hear about the reunion!

Of course, whenever I hear about the 333SP, I can't help but mention this. The Ferrari was well known as a dominating race car. But there was one year they weren't so dominating. In 1996, Oldsmobile beat Max Papis and the 333SP despite fielding fewer cars in the IMSA World SportsCar championship. The Aurora-powered Riley & Scotts took the driver and manufacturer honors that year, though Ferrari gave them quite a fight!
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');