• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Use: Megs HCW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Use: Megs HCW

I went ahead and took advantage of today's heat wave (48*) and picked up a bottle of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax at Advance Auto ($14.99 + tax with a $5.00 online rebate).

The car was in dire need of a good wash since it hasn't been touched in months and was a bit crusty with salt.
    Using a fairly strong wash mix ... 3 oz of Hyperwash to 5 gallons of water, I hosed off as much of the crusted salt as I could, then did an involved two bucket wash.

Once the car was clean and still wet, I started with the HCW. Between the directions and what I've seen on the internet, I decided to spray it on and wipe it in. I have the strong feeling that I used too much. It IS thick and comes out of the bottle in a heavy spray.

I sprayed it on and wiped it in, the mf quickly became soaked and I probably made a mistake by not wringing it out, but I kept wiping it in until I went over the whole car.

The HCW was on the paint THICK and I didn't see it coming off easily so I decided to try the hose off method. Apparently my hose doesn't have enough pressure to work the HCW off the car, so after getting the car totally soaked again, I began with a fresh microfiber and began drying the car - wringing the towel out this time and it did fairly well removing the haze of the HCW. Once I had dried the whole car, It looked similar to after applying Ultimate Fast Finish, but before wiping off the residue.

So as a final wipe, I took a second fresh, slightly damp cloth and lightly went over the car. This did a fantastic job of removing the 'high spots' that remained.

Once finished, I used the back of my hand and felt the finish. It felt very similar to UFF using my hand, but not quite as slick when wiped with a mf.

It's supposed to rain tonight and maybe tomorrow, so if it does, perhaps I'll take the car out and check out the beading.
    I know it didn't happen unless there are pics, so here they are. The car actually looks better in person, my phone's camera has been acting up.

Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I tried a second, dry application a few hours later. Taking a clean, dry mf I sprayed it once with the HCW and going panel by panel, I wiped it on, then buffed it off with a new dry mf and buffed the panel.

It flashed pretty well and only left a few ... smears? high spots? that needed buffed off. The exterior glass came out crystal clear.

Time and probably some more experimentation will tell if it is worth the effort.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: 1st Use: Megs HCW

Thanx Don!

Bill

Comment

As I mentioned, I can't leave well enough alone ...

39* with a 29* windchill

Getting the car out of the garage, even with the heavy cloud cover, I could see numerous smears/high spots so I took it to the coin-op this afternoon before the race and just using the high pressure rinse, I went over the car. After a few passes, I started getting the water beading/sheeting that I've seen in all the UTube videos.

After 5 minutes of rinsing, I pulled it to the vacuums to dry it off. Even in the cooler temps, it dried off like a dream. Absolutely no signs of smearing and the finish looked awesome. Granted, this isn't a full sun viewing, but still, it looks good.

My question now is was the high-pressure rinse necessary or would the hydrophobic properties have come out on their own after a day or two of rain or a few regular washes?
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Second application. Washed car & left wet. Then, starting at the top and going a panel at a time MISTED the HCW on the surface and then dried the panel completely. It went much easier and faster this time. Once done with the whole car, I took a clean, moderately damp mf cloth and wiped down the car again, removing what few, slight smears remained.

Don
        12/27/2015
        "Darth Camaro"

Comment

Looks good. I laughed when I read "fairly strong wash mix ... 3 oz of Hyperwash to 5 gallons"...heck I'm sure In the past I've wasted 1/4 a bottle just pouring it in there.
          I had my first beakdown in 1989 when I got my first car with real paint on it! A 67 GTO that was taken to bare metal and front and rear glass removed and a nice paint job. Total show car! I didn't know how to wash it or care for it properly.
          I washed it a couple of times and the swirls came out. It was bright blue poly paint code 23 GM...IROC Z-28 dark blue.
          I called the guy I bought it from and asked what he did.
          He said he used a few drops of Joy in a bucket....THAT WAS TERRIBLE ADVICE!! I guess he was like 2-3 drops so it really wasn't enough to do anything more than water.
          Then my best friend introduced me to Mequiar's products specifically #7 glaze. Now called show car glaze I believe.
          It worked but I still don't like the stuff. Too much work and it's residue is terrible. I later found #3 machine glaze worked well for me. I never saw #9 swirl remover do much of anything, but #3 was my go to for paint correction for swirls. Then I tried a bunch of top coats.
          #26 paste wax was nice and smelled good. I know most will laugh but I really liked that pink Liquid Lustre stuff. Tried liquid glass, not impressed.
          Then Zymol cleaner/wax became one I used a lot.
          My favorite for a while has been Pro Ultimate Cutter. I am going to be trying Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and I think the other is Ultimate Polish soon. I expect them the be very similar and will probably replace the Pro brand since Meguiar's is available at Walmart. I hated having to go to paint shop to get #3 in the 90s.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');