1998 civic vtec rustoleum paint job..well kinda
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998 civic vtec rustoleum paint job..well kinda

Registered Member

1998 civic vtec rustoleum paint job..well kinda

Hey guys im in need of some advice.
    im currently doing a garage paint job on my 98 vtec.

rustoleum automotive quarts are not available in South Africa so i decided to rather go for a waterbased enamel.
    i sprayed down 4 coats and it lay down super flat,one or 2 dust nibs..
    i used an electric hvlp paint sprayer,700watt,1.8mm nozzle

the car has been baking in the sun for a month now,its around 32 degrees Celsius daily here,
    i plan on doing a clear coat..
    i have found an acrylic based enamel clear with a hardener locally for a good price..

so my question is...should i wetsand the base with say 400griit so the clear coat can adhere to the paint?willl the clear fill in 400 gritt sanding marks?

Registered Member

Re: 1998 civic vtec rustoleum paint job..well kinda

I think 400 is way too coarse for sanding any paint. 600 is the absolute coarsest I have ever used on paint that only on thick paint.
    800 or 1000 is better. I'm not worried about sticking or roughing it up. I am looking for high quality appearance.
    I did a motorcycle once and it looked like good professional.
    Paint 2-3 coats of paint and let dry thoroughly. Wet sand, then buff with compound and polish until perfect finish. The degrease and use correct clear that doesn't bubble the paint.
    One thick or 2-3 thinner coats and it will probably be very nice. On some dark colors and depending on how paint was laid on you might have orange peel that you might want to wet sand clear with 1500-2000 and then buff to perfection.

Director of Global Training, Events & Consumer Relations Mike Pennington's Avatar

You might also want to check with the brand of clear you got? I am sure they can guide you in the proper prep / grit(s) to get the right adhesion properties their clear.

Let us know how it turns out !

Mike
    Mike Pennington
    Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
    Meguiar's, Inc.
    800-854-8073
    mpennington@meguiars.com

Registered Member

Thanks for the response guys,
    almost everything iv read online says to never sand the base coat,i just thought t might be a little different because i am using enamel ,not really a BC/CC system.

im scared of sanding the white base and then the sanding marks will show through my clear coat

Registered Member

oops,didnt realize my ganja plants are in the backround of the pic lol!!!! well its legal here in SA,since September 18 last year for home growing and usage,just not sales,incase anyone was wondering

Registered Member

Well it's all relative. BC/CC was set up to be a duller looking base and it has orange peel. The clear gave it the gloss and smoothed out the orange peel and you could still wet sand the clear to get even better looking.
    You have to polish out ANY thing you sand unless it's primer.
    I will agree sanding base or actually in my case and yours too the base was actually a finishing coat. It was designed to be the only or top coat as your enamel was too.
    I just decided to clear for more durability and more depth of shine.
    If the enamel looks good enough which it might because white is not bad as showing orange peel, you can just wipe down with pre-cleaner and clear it and it will look even better.
    With dark colors and spray cans or not the proper high end equipment and guns etc, you will get so much orange peel and possibly have some bugs/dirt specs or runs so I sand the color coat to correct defects then buff to near perfection....then I want to seal it better and since I have sanded some thickness or paint off. The clear makes it look even better but sometimes I have to wet sand and buff the clear too.
    I don't do much now because since I do not have the right equipment and do not know how to do it fast and right.....it takes to damn long. I have done some show quality results in the past but too much work. A real painter could do it just like that and look just as good.

I had a couple of those plants one time but it wasn't legal then. I don't know how they got there, but I will say they grow like a weed.
    Never smoked them. I don't like the stuff. They are like mulberry trees. A bird can poop a mulberry seed and 3 inch diameter tree will be there in 18 months. I do eat mulberries though.

Registered Member

Thanks guys.
    Okay so this is what ill do...
    ill wetsand my base with 1000,1500 gritt
    then ill use meguiars ultimate compound. ill let the car sit in the sun for another week.
    ill then wash the car with a degreaser
    then ill paint the clear coats.
    then again wetsanding and polishing

Registered Member

was the paint you used a basecoat or a single stage?
    either way, i wouldnt wetsand,then buff, then clear. the surface needs the scratch pattern from sanding so the clear will have mechanical adhesion. beings a solid color id sand with 600 then clear. 3 coats. then wet sand 1000,1500. then cut and buff.
    the only time a base or SS isnt sanded before clear is when the clear is applied in the recoat window,which is when chemical adhesion will occur.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    either way, i wouldnt wetsand,then buff, then clear. the surface needs the scratch pattern from sanding so the clear will have mechanical adhesion. beings a solid color id sand with 600 then clear. 3 coats. then wet sand 1000,1500. then cut and buff.
    the only time a base or SS isnt sanded before clear is when the clear is applied in the recoat window,which is when chemical adhesion will occur.
    its a SS paint,hmmm mixed views on what to do here from members yet your way is what i also believed would work, so 600 gritt...

sand until the surface is even and dull with no low spots..
    then i can start the clear...

will the clear bring back the shine and fill in those 600gritt sanding marks?
    the clear im going for is a local product
    http://www.autopaintcentre.co.za/pro...-clear-knl-20/

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    I agree with you,i also thought i should sand so the clear has something too bite onto.
    its a SS paint...

funny guys give contradicting advice lol so im second guessing everything
    so 600 gritt...would clear be able to bring back the shine and fill in those sanding marks on the base?
    im going to use a 1k clear called Plascon Flowline 1kNC clear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information