• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easier 1-step, maintenance wash and protect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easier 1-step, maintenance wash and protect?

Been a user of Meguiar's products for years as they meet the accessibility and value that I need, but I'm looking at rethinking my semi-annual (maybe more depending on ease) deep clean and protect. I'm a hobby detailer with my main concern being maintaining paint on daily drivers. I live in the Chihuahuan Desert, probably the third sunniest and hottest place in North America with little rain. My most valuable vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Tacoma which still has its clearcoat, probably because it has spent most of its life in Colorado and was probably garaged some of the time. The same model and year trucks I see here all have some evidence of clearcoat failure, and so my main goal is to prevent that. I do have M101 and M205 in my arsenal with a Griots 6" DA polisher and have used it with success to remove some trail rash from bushes offroading. I go offroad often, so I'm not looking for complete multistage paint correction, one it takes a lot of time and, two I live in an apartment complex so using the DA polisher is inconvenient and an annoyance for residents.

So after following developments by Meguiars, I've noticed that they have released some products that seem to be the answer to my current needs, but before that, I have noticed that Meguiar's doesn't offer a consumer size iron or fallout remover. I have noticed that Meguiars does sell of D1801 Wheel & Paint Iron DECON in gallons but I wish they would sell smaller bottles of that for the people like us that don't use a gallon of iron remover a year. I have heard of people using Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner for chemical paint decontamination but your average consumer won't be seeing that on the shelf and know that it can be used on paint like an iron remover. Also wonder if Meguiar's Wheel Brightener can be used as a paint decon since it says it's safe and effective on clear-coated, factory painted, and chrome wheels.

The products I've noticed to do a light correction, improve gloss and provide protection I've picked up Meguiar's 3-in-1 Wax, mainly because I don't need to break out the DA polisher. Yes, I realize that hand polishing can't compare to the results from DA or rotary machine polishing but I simply don't have that luxury. My question is what is people's experience using 3-in-1 Wax under sunlight? Should I just work one panel at a time? Another product I've noticed is Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax, mainly for its ease of use and be able to be used after every wash to add protection.

So here's my new plan for my next one step, wash and protect:
    1. Meguiar's Shampoo Plus Meguiar's Shampoo Plus (its what I have on, hand 2 bucket method, microfiber mitt, also introducing a cordless drill paint mixer for the soap bucket)
    2. Sonax 05132000 Fallout Cleaner (first Sonax product, got it mainly because it wasn't that expensive, have used IronX before but wanted to try something different, it was between Sonax and Adams iron removers)
    3. Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Detailing Clay, Mild and Meguiar's Quik Wax (I do have Meguiar's consumer-grade clay but I wanted to test out whether this clay is any better. Meguiar's says Quik Wax can be used a clay lubricant. I have always used Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine as clay lube but trying to test out some more Meguiar's products and see how they are)
    4. So since Quik Wax is a wax in and of itself, I'm considering doing an IPA wipe down before using 3-in-1 wax since its a polish and it seems weird to leave the wax residue before doing a "correction" that also adds its own wax and topping it with another type of "wax".
    5. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax worked in on a wet surface, not sure if anyone else uses 3-in-1 and topping it with HCW would love to hear experiences.

Basically, the goal is to do a wash, paint decontamination, light correction and protection in as little time as possible exposed to the elements and with nothing but a garden hose and some buckets. For windows, we've got hard water here so I'm gonna have to polish the windows. I will probably try vinegar and a magic eraser but if that doesn't work I have a rayon pad for the cordless drill. Saw that Meguiar's sells the Perfect Clarity Glass Kit that has a compound and a sealant. How abrasive is the compound? More like M101 or M205? If I were to use M101 or M205, has anyone applied it by hand to windows with results with water spots on windows? Also, could I use HCW on windows and have the same effect as the Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Sealant? What would the differences be? Thanks.

Sorry for all the questions.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');