• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Removing Swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Removing Swirls

I have been lurking on the forum for a while now and have found a lot of great info. I figured it was time for me to create an account because I would like to get some advice on how to handle my situation.

I bought a lightly used 2017 F150 a couple months ago in the Lithium Grey color. The day I bought it was cloudy and rainy. I looked the truck over pretty closely and didn't see any dents or scratches. Since then I have noticed that there are swirl marks all over the truck and some light scratches. The swirl marks are only noticeable in the correct light. I have gone back and forth about whether or not I should try to fix this myself. I always try to keep my cars clean and well kept but I have absolutely no experience using a DA polisher or doing any paint correction. I never noticed any swirl marks on the 2014 Explorer I traded in when I bought the truck. Because of my lack of experience I am hesitant to do it myself in fear of making the problem worse or removing more of the clear coat than is necessary. However, I also worry if I decide to take it somewhere they won't do a good job.

I contacted a local detailing shop and stopped by to talk to him about it. Unfortunately that day was also a cloudy/rainy day so it was hard to see the swirls. The guy seemed knowledgeable and said he would use Meguiars D300 to correct the paint. After reading about that product it sounds good but I am worried it is too aggressive. I plan on having this truck for a very long time so my biggest concern is doing a major paint correction that will cause paint issues in years to come. Is this a valid concern to have?

The 3 options I keep debating between are:
    1. Buy a DA polisher and try fixing it myself. I am not really sure what steps all need to be taken or what products are the best/safest ones to use.
    2. Taking it to a detailer but i'm not sure how to tell if the place I am taking it is reputable.
    3. Leave it be and don't look at it when it is sunny out

Attached are some photos of the swirl marks (sorry about the water spots). Any recommendations or advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');