• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unique Clear Coat Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Clear Coat Problems

So I have a problem that I have not been able to find anywhere on the internet. My car is a metallic silver gloss from the factory, but one of the previous owners had a matte clear coat with some fleck in it sprayed over the factory clear. The clear coat started peeling everywhere as its adhesion was poor. I took a power washer to it and I was able to remove 98% of the matte clear coat. What I'm left with now is the factory coat with a thin sheen of the matte clear coat on top, as well as very small pieces of the matte clear in some spots where the adhesion was better. I cannot get these pieces to come off with my fingernail. There's also a bit too much of it to spend the time removing each piece little by little. I apologize about the photos, it's quite hard to capture whats going on, but hopefully it's enough.

If you look closely at the picture of the hood below you can see some wavy patterns from how the clear coat peeled up from the power wash.

Is its possible to lightly sand/cut/polish to remove the matte sheen and the matte clear coat specs?
    If not, would it be possible to sand back to the base coat, and then just do a clear coat respray?
    Could I use a nibbing tool to remove the specks of matte clear?

My concern is that if I try and sand the bumps back, that I'll end up sanding too much off of what good is left on the factory coat.

Secondly, it seems that the adhesion of the matte clear on my front bumper alone was a lot better, and I've ended up with about half of my bumper showing the original clear coat well (without the matte sheen), and half of it with the matte clear coat that I cannot get off easily like the rest. The darker of the two colors is the factory clear in the pic below.

Is it possible to sand this back to the factory clear and cut and polish?
    If not could it be sanded back to the base coat, then re-sprayed with clear?
    Otherwise I will end up just completely sanding it back and then re-spraying completely.

Keep in mind that I'm an amateur, but I'm willing to put in the work, and I'm doing as much research as possible on proper repair techniques. Keep this in mind before recommending something any first timer could seriously mess up. If a 10/10 is a perfect paint job, I'm only hoping to at least get maybe a 7/10 result. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Unique Clear Coat Problems

you need to feather it out, preferably prime, base, then clear. if doing a spot then you can shoot blender on edge to melt new to old clear. best to clear whole panel.

Comment

Originally posted by bolts View Post
      no you cannot just spray clear over flaking clear. you need to feather it out, preferably prime, base, then clear. if doing a spot then you can shoot blender on edge to melt new to old clear. best to clear whole panel.
      No offence, but you must not have read my post at all. Where did I ever say I was going to spray over the flaking clear?

Comment

sorry dude but i just wanted to say so others will know that you cant just reclear over that.

Comment

No expert. Just a guess. I have removed glued on things like dealer decals, etc. with a hot hair dryer blower. Depending on the material and glue, you might be able to peel it off when heated. Not too hot though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            No expert. Just a guess. I have removed glued on things like dealer decals, etc. with a hot hair dryer blower. Depending on the material and glue, you might be able to peel it off. Good luck.
            Its not glue. Its a matte clear coat sprayed over my factory gloss clear. Stripped most of it off, but im left with small specks of it all over.

Comment

Originally posted by pakamper View Post
              Its not glue. Its a matte clear coat sprayed over my factory gloss clear. Stripped most of it off, but im left with small specks of it all over.
              Sorry, I guess I missed that fact in your post. When I read that you got most of it off with a pressure sprayer, I took it as a plastic wrap of some sort.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');