• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolue Minimum of Car Show Detailing Items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolue Minimum of Car Show Detailing Items

If you were traveling to a car show, say 100 miles or more, you'd probably have a car full of stuff, especially if you have a passenger. So if space was very limited, what would you choose for the minimum of "show preparation" things you would take? Let's presume you don't have a car wash available, unless you are at a motel, where you could carry water from the sink to the car...

My list:
    • bottle of waterless Car Wash
    • 8-10 microfiber cloths
    • mini 12V Vacuum cleaner
    • bottle of instant detailer
    • glass cleaner
    • small bottle of Chrome wax/cleaner.

that's only 5 things, plus the vacuum cleaner. It would all fit into a small plastic tub or a plastic milk crate.

If you can reduce it further, with stuff that can do multiple jobs and reduce the bottle count, please post. It would be nice if you could buy everything at local AP stores, instead of a specialty online store.
    Drive resposibly.
    Rock music.

Re: Absolue Minimum of Car Show Detailing Items

The images are what I would carry about 4 years ago.
    First thing is a Husky (Home Depot) bag I use for show detailing products.

Sku 404 846
    It has 8 external pouches.
    It is a 14 inch with large enough pockets, some for 22 oz and some for 32 oz round bottles.
    If you are in a large family that does Secret Santa with a $20 limit...... This is good for those who draw your name!

I will list the important changes since then in next thread.

Comment

I no longer carry 16 oz detail spray. Instead I carry 26 oz Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere or better yet a 32 OZ mixed bottle of 4:1 dilution of D115 Rinse Free Express Wash and Wax.
      Both of these alternatives offer more lubricity (safer) and larger container (less likely to run out if full at start).

Specifically formulated to be used as an alternative to traditional washing on light to moderate dirty vehicles.

I upgraded the microfiber towels to better quality.
      I carry two grades of towels A and C (wheels and/or bed liner), as well as one or more large drying towels in case it rains.

I carry a small can of Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish.

I replaced the Meguiar's hot wheel with Meguiar's All Ultimate Wheel Cleaner, yet either needs to be rinsed off. So I use the UWWA or D115 at shows to spot clean wheels (top of this post).

I added pens and small note book. I also added a tire gauge. I also added these three to the Nikon DLSR camera bag.

See this link to see the clear boxes that nest in top of the supply bag to carry towels.
      What are your favorite detailing tools under $1

Edit: I have added 81MG Aspirins. Make sure you take extra water for remain hydrated! Take a light weight cowboy hat or one with a brim to avoid excess sun.

Comment

Those ideas were interesting, and I hadn't thought of using smaller bottles, mostly because the cheap spray bottles don't work properly with most chemicals that aren't mostly water. The bag looks interesting too.

I always carry a gallon of drinking water, and two gallons on hot days; one for the driver and one for the car.
        Drive resposibly.
        Rock music.

Comment

I have a plastic tool tote for storing & carrying my detailing stuff. the plastic tote is just right to place the bottles transversely, maximizing the space, and I glued in a wooden divider to separate the polishing pads, scrubbers and sponges. It will catch any liquid leaking or spilled, and small brushes, pens/markers, etc. are stored in the handle. Is your bag able to hold water or spilled liquids? I searched, and some of the tool bags are called "buckets" maybe because they can actually hold water or are possibly as tough as a bucket- regarding carrying tools.

Drive resposibly.
          Rock music.

Comment

I would call the Husky supply bag water resistant, yet not waterproof.
            One advantage of the bag is the somewhat softer sides. It still can scratch though if brushed hard enough against a door panel or dash.
            Mine normally rides in the passenger floor board, so it isn't a problem. It can also fit behind the seat out of site, like during the show.
            With lids/sprayers on all products and their being stored upright, I don't spill anything.

Comment

My show/cruise vehicle is an El Camino with an open bed, so space is at a premium. I carry a small backpack behind the seat with necessities. Probably the most important step is to have the car as close to perfect as possible before you leave home. Any touch-ups needed on site should be minimal. A bunch of microfibers is first priority, including a few drying towels in case I run into rain. For chemicals, a good waterless wash is first priority, along with window cleaner and a small bottle of QD for a final dusting if needed. As for the interior, I carry a small brush, some interior detailer and a lint roller for a judged show, as my Camino has a plush velour interior that shows all the dust. I also carry a few towels cut into 4 inch squares for either bird bombs or bug splats. Soak 'em with the waterless wash, stick 'em to the bad spot and let soak for a while before wiping clean. Last is a small bottle of a cleaner wax and a foam pad for any road damage incurred enroute and some hand sanitizer for personal cleanup.
              If I was doing something far enough that overnight travel was required, I might add a collapsible 2 gallon bucket, a few sample bottles of rinseless wash and a microfiber mitt.
              In 20 years of shows and cruises, I've never found need to carry anything else.

Bill

Comment

This topic is basically for a LONG trip to a show- say 600 miles. I have a large plastic tub that goes on the floor in front of the passenger seat, and hold all the spare part, vacuum cleaner and cleaning &detailing stuff. My car was fairly clean, except for just a couple bugs, so I only had to clean those off and clean the engine and wheelwells a little.

Drive resposibly.
                Rock music.

Comment

I spent some days a few years ago, searching for an appropriate 12V vacuum for a car, and found the Black+Decker 12V Flex Vacuum BDH1200FVAV. I works well, has a 3 foot hose, and an 8 -foot cord. It's not small, however, at 10 x 6 x 15 inches. I like it, and it fits into the plastic tub with all the other stuff I bring.

If anyone knows of a 12V vacuum cleaner that has good suction and a 6-8 foot cord, please share that information.

Drive resposibly.
                  Rock music.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                    I have added 81MG Aspirins. Take a light weight cowboy hat or one with a brim to avoid excess sun.
                    I usually carry a small bottle of Advil and Tylenol, all available at the dollar store. I don't keep them in with the detailing stuff, but in the toiletries bag, which stays at the hotel/Motel.

In stead of a cowboy hat, I have an oversize "golf" umbrella, which opens to about 6 feet! It's just about as good as having a self-standing canopy, but easier to store and erect. I usually have a flat cap, but it's more for fashion than shade.
                    Drive resposibly.
                    Rock music.

Comment

Would this extension cord be enough to get you to the trunk of your Z?
                      Vehicle Cigarette Lighter Extension Cable

Part Number: VPA-EXT2
                      6 1/2 feet, 12 volt.
                      About $5, I have used this company for LEDs in my truck.

Comment

Advil and Tylenol were removed from my medicine cabinets when I turned about 50. Negative effects on blood pressure, where 81 Aspirin helps thin the blood.

I go to a couple shows that banned popups and umbrellas. Too much liability if the wind comes up even a little. So the lightweight cowboy hat stays in the El Camino unless it is on my head. Two of my RX increase sensitivity to sunshine/sunburns.

Comment

What's a Z? I don't have one, whatever it is.

I do have an extension though. They are useful for air pumps, car vacuums, battery chargers, and other 12V- powered devices.
                          Drive resposibly.
                          Rock music.

Comment

OK, I bit the bait. What forms Guitar 280Z?

Comment

It was on the TV when I registered for this forum.
                              Drive resposibly.
                              Rock music.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');