• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freshly Painted Hood Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshly Painted Hood Question

Hey Guys

I know the topic has been discussed to death but here I go.

Hood was repainted.

The shop just couldnt get it right with hairs and nibs in the finish. The color is Bright White so anything dark would be magnified under the clear. So after the 4th try they nailed it and delivered the vehicle back to me via swirl city. After taking an afternoon and correcting the hood my self with some m205 and chasing the deep scratches for a few days in different light I finally took the vehicle out into the world.

My issue at this point is that im in a segal drop zone at work.

Ive managed to steer clear of the droppings until today and of course when I got home the paint was etched after clean up. I was able to buff the mark out to about 95% which is fine but I was afraid to go any more aggressive since the etching was on a curved edge of the hood. Im sure more droppings are in my hoods future but I cant avoid it since the cars my daily driver. I need to get protection on the hood. The rest of the car is ceramic coated and can with stand a few hours of bird droppings and wipe clear but the hood has zero protection. Im using the M07 and 3M's hand glaze to try and coat the hood but it did hold up at all.

My Body Shop said 2 weeks before wax/sealer but I wanted to try and make it 30 days. The hood was baked but obviously not at factory temps. Ive looked at Mikes articles and everyone has different circumstances. This isnt a garage queen so I cant let it sit.

Is there any product thats body shop safe or fresh paint safe that can protect the paint or do I just need to roll the dice and seal up my finish now/15 day mark/or keep stressing polishing and correcting through the 30 day marker.

It will be aprox 10 days tomorrow.

Thanks in advance! This repaint has obviously been a nightmare.

Re: Freshly Painted Hood Question

on that 2 weeks- having the car in the sun all day-with direct sunlight on the hood-will speed that up.
    you could try putting a glaze on it but i dont know how much protection from the bombers it would provide.

edit:
    just saw this thread on megs 305. might be what you want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsteve View Post
      on that 2 weeks- having the car in the sun all day-with direct sunlight on the hood-will speed that up.
      you could try putting a glaze on it but i dont know how much protection from the bombers it would provide.

edit:
      just saw this thread on megs 305. might be what you want to use.
      https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...-Durable-Glaze

That looks like a great product. Similar probably with what im using already though but in one step. m205/3M Hand Glaze. The giant turd was no match for 3 layers of glaze.

I took another crack with some 105 and a microfiber really light pressure and it looks to be about 98% gone. Its good enough. Hopefully another pass of 205 on the DA with a new pad before sealing will get the rest.

Another issue I think may be the problem is my paints SUPER SOFT.

Question: once its sealed, can it still harden/cure?

Comment

the softness can be the product used. some clears are quite soft and some are rock hard.
        but curing needs offgassing. waxes seal and dont allow that to happen. glazes allow that to happen.

reads like a fast food joint needs to open up down the road from work to attract the seagulls!

i dont think youd want to try it without knowing how much clear is on the hood but when ive painted vehicles i request the owner to bring them back in 2 or so months to see if the clear shrunk and got a hazy look(dont have a booth to heat cure). since i spray at least 3 coats of clear i have no problem sanding in one area after a few months. if its still offgassing i can smell it then. if i smell it i wont wax yet.

Comment

ive ordered some 305. Arrives monday. hopefully I can layer this stuff on. Whats dry time for the 305? Cant find too much info on it...

Comment

Can a ceramic coating go right over the 305 since it's body shop safe or should I use a cleaner?

305 is quite impressive.

Comment

Freshly Painted Hood Question

Since I bought my car i havent given it a proper wax n detail. I recently bought a oem spoiler painted and all. I noticed the color of the spoiler is different from the car. The spoiler seems like its darker than the car. Do you guys think that after I wax, detail,, polish my car should it bring out the color again matching the spoiler I bought??Any recommendations as what to use?
              nadyn.biz

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');