Second Wax Coating or Polish? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Wax Coating or Polish?

Registered Member

Re: Second Wax Coating or Polish?

Thanks! Nice to know I didn't ruin the chrome trim. I'm pretty satisfied with the results now, might apply the gold wax for aesthetics if I get the time.

I found the best way to clean the under body is to place a towel on the ground and lay down, using garden hose in jet mode, then if necessary, use a wheel brush to scrub the area, careful not to scratch the paint.

One thing about my car, the higher trim level I bought has the gloss black trim, it looks like paint, but I've been reading online and found out it may just be shiny plastic. It clovers the front and back bumper. I used wax on it because I thought it was paint... looks great, no ill effects.

Only problem was I clayed some stubborn bonded stuff off and somehow scratched a small area slightly, I can see micro scratches with an inspection light. I've been very careful with claying now after learning the right technique ( lots of lub, minimal pressure ), but this still showed up. I know UP should get rid of them easily... if it's actually paint, but how can I tell if it's paint or plastic! It honestly looks like plastic with clear coat.

Again thanks for answering my question, really appreciate it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by alexw32 View Post
    One thing about my car, the higher trim level I bought has the gloss black trim, it looks like paint, but I've been reading online and found out it may just be shiny plastic. It clovers the front and back bumper. I used wax on it because I thought it was paint... looks great, no ill effects. ...
    Try using a magnet to determine if it's metal of 'piano black plastic'.

Just be sure to maybe put something 'tween the magnet and surface as to not potentially scratch the paint or ?.

Bill

Registered Member

I tried the magnet, no magnetism. Looks like I'm dealing with the soft piano black, which would explain why it marred so badly when I clayed it. I should have been wiser and used some other method to clean it.

Now, would it be okay to use UP on it? The mar shouldn't be too deep but since it's black it's quite obvious in direct sunlight...

Thanks!

Only problem was I clayed some stubborn bonded stuff off and somehow scratched a small area slightly, I can see micro scratches with an inspection light. I've been very careful with claying now after learning the right technique ( lots of lub, minimal pressure ), but this still showed up. I know UP should get rid of them easily... if it's actually paint, but how can I tell if it's paint or plastic! It honestly looks like plastic with clear coat.
    Yeah, Ult Polish would be ok to try.. can always do a small spot first.

You may also look at the IronX, TarX, and Meguiars new Paint Decon products for removing or helping with stubborn stuff... seems to lighten up the claying / cleaning for me.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Murr1525 View Post
    Yeah, Ult Polish would be ok to try.. can always do a small spot first.

You may also look at the IronX, TarX, and Meguiars new Paint Decon products for removing or helping with stubborn stuff... seems to lighten up the claying / cleaning for me.
    Ultimate Polish did the job, but it took some time, doing it by hand it took me 7 minutes!! It removed the fine swirls, making the spot shiny and black as the other places from a distance, still a few marks that are deeper but I reapplied wax over it and it covers it up fine.

Thanks for the advice, couldn't have mustered up the courage to try without some approval from experienced people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information