Small Water Mark & Haze - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Water Mark & Haze

Registered Member

Re: Small Water Mark & Haze

That’s the real issue isn’t it? We “see” it because we know it’s there but I would bet money that even if someone like me came to look at your car, and you didn’t tell me ahead of time, I wouldn’t see it unless I did a very meticulous paint review with a handheld light, etc. So, how much is it worth to you to remove it or ‘live with it’ for now?

It will not keep etching into the paint. The sun and minerals do that etching, and I’m sure the minerals are gone now. What’s left is the final product of that, and it won’t go any further.

As for bugs, I agree that they’re not terribly bad unless they bake on the paint in the hot sun. Otherwise, they are mostly just a nuisance.

My personal process, I use a good soap that’s not PH neutral, because it truly cleans better. Then, I re-apply Meg’s HCW each time because it’s so easy. This way I get a truly good cleaning each time, and finish with good protection.

Registered Member

Indeed, once you "see it" it stays in your mind. I have to tell myself every time I approach the car now don't look for the water spots, don't look for the swirls, just don't! Truth be told if a car were to be kept 100% defect free, you might as well never drive it or take it out of the garage... which beats the purpose of it being a car.

Today I took it out for a drive, it was cloudy, so can't see a single defect, on a sunny day you'd be able to see scratches by looking into the direct shine... something that no one would ever do because it's so blinding. So yeah, besides in a dark garage with ceiling light on, I can't see them at other places.

Thanks for giving me peace of mind on the spots, I thought about the situation this way. By not compounding/polishing now and letting the defect stay, you give yourself the opportunity to do it in the future when (hopefully not ) a more visible defect appears, with some extra few microns of clear coat, you'd be removing less paint overall than doing it now. I guess this is why they advise "polish when necessary".

By not PH neutral do you mean something like citrus wash which is acidic? I use gold class soap and it seems to clean pretty well. I assume you can use more aggressive soaps because you got a hybrid coating on.

I've looked into ceramic coating initially, backed down on it due to the price as well as the skill required. Being a newbie I felt it was a bit beyond my power, I feared I might do something wrong and won't be able to fix it since ceramic coatings are hard to polish off.

Meguair's Hybrid Coating almost sounded too good to be true. For you, how much difference do you notice when it comes to scratch prevention and shine? Can it be applied over a sealant like UW or does it need bare paint to bond well?

Registered Member

I use Gold Class a lot. It's a good soap, but when I really want to clean, I use Purple Power which is alkaline and will strip waxes, etc.
    You can put HCW on by its self or put on top of UW or other sealant. It's awesome in that way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information