• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Detailing - Few Questions For Beginner - Buffer Trails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Detailing - Few Questions For Beginner - Buffer Trails?

This is probably a better spot for this. Even though it doesnt appear to be too active.

I was tasked with detailing our families new to us Sea Ray 400 Sedan Bridge.

Here is my 3 step process for correcting the Gel-Coat

1) Meguiars One Step Compound/Polish #67 with a rotary buffer and a wool cut pad
    2) Marine Polish with a rotary buffer and a polish foam pad
    3) Meguiars #56 Pure Wax hand applicated and removed

After step one in the right perfect sun angle about dusk (and no other time) i noticed buffer trails. So i proceeded with the polish thinking that would take care of it. It appeared to do so, so i continued with the wax step. After all said and done i ended up with a smooth, scratch free finish that i was happy with. I was in the boat yard about dusk the next day and i then saw again, in the right light, less obvious and more faint than before. But the buffer trails are STILL sort of there.

What did i do wrong and what can i correct this with?? It looks great in 95% of lighting.

Any input is appreciated.

Re: Boat Detailing - Few Questions For Beginner - Buffer Trails?

Originally posted by mnsledboy View Post
    This is probably a better spot for this. Even though it doesnt appear to be too active.

I was tasked with detailing our families new to us Sea Ray 400 Sedan Bridge.

Here is my 3 step process for correcting the Gel-Coat

1) Meguiars One Step Compound/Polish #67 with a rotary buffer and a wool cut pad
    2) Marine Polish with a rotary buffer and a polish foam pad
    3) Meguiars #56 Pure Wax hand applicated and removed

After step one in the right perfect sun angle about dusk (and no other time) i noticed buffer trails. So i proceeded with the polish thinking that would take care of it. It appeared to do so, so i continued with the wax step. After all said and done i ended up with a smooth, scratch free finish that i was happy with. I was in the boat yard about dusk the next day and i then saw again, in the right light, less obvious and more faint than before. But the buffer trails are STILL sort of there.

What did i do wrong and what can i correct this with?? It looks great in 95% of lighting.

Any input is appreciated.
    In my experience you should try using a dual action machine (Meguiars MT 300). Forced rotation machines will typically always leave swirl marks by nature.
    Detail Werks
    Derek Bemiss
    SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Comment

They were more of a buffer trail look, not so much a swirl like on a car.

I have a DA also. Should i just go back over it with that and a polish (not cut)? It just such a huge area and a DA will take quite a bit longer

let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Detail Werks View Post
        In my experience you should try using a dual action machine (Meguiars MT 300). Forced rotation machines will typically always leave swirl marks by nature.
        Try a section with the polish and the DA, if you still get the marks then use the #67 or try the polish with a more agressive foam pad or even a micro fiber disc.
        Detail Werks
        Derek Bemiss
        SEMA/Ford Care Care Team Leader 2004 through 2012.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');