• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treatment for fairly clean OEM wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatment for fairly clean OEM wheels?

I have just tried Meguiars Hot Rims Wheel & Tire Cleaner (purple stuff, that is stronger), and it has made a dramatic difference in the amount of grime that wasn’t coming off with just car washes (and Gold Class shampoo), on my 2005 Toyota Sienna. I also have another vehicle (also toyota, a 2006 Highlander) that has very clean wheels. I am wondering if I should apply the harsher Wheel & Tire cleaner, or also buy the blue liquid Aluminum Wheel Cleaner—or if I really need anything at all. The previously gunked up wheels (on one car I have) look so good, I really don’t mind buying a new product, but of course if it doesn’t matter, I’d prefer to stick with what I have (its cheaper that way!). I think I’d like to use some product on the cleaner set of wheels (on my second car), just to get them pristine before applying a coat of car wax as a protectant.

I did call Meguiars support and asked if the purple wheel cleaner would be ok to use on fairly clean wheels, and the guy’s first answer was why use a product on something if it isn’t needed, but then said that as long as I didn’t let it sit on the wheels for more than 30 seconds, and didn’t apply it when they were hot, I should be fine. His ambivalence leads me to ask here to get more opinions on the matter.

So what do folks here think? Do I even want to apply a product to pretty clean wheels (the Highlander), or would that be likely to be too abrasive on the coating of the wheels (I believe Toyota stock wheels are aluminum coated)? I also would like to apply synthetic car wax as well to the wheels, unless that is a dumb idea.

Re: Treatment for fairly clean OEM wheels?

I would just get the Non acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner rather than buying more little bottles since doing a few cars.

And then the Ult Wheel Cleaner once or twice a year
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');