newbie and the sun

Thread: newbie and the sun

Registered Member

Unhappy newbie and the sun

Hello all you car obsessed folks.i just bought a 2015 ram ,...20,000 miles,1 owner,black metal flake,minimal chrome....anyway paint looks great for 4 yrs old.want to keep it that way.been on line and u tube you guys know all the top dogs.anyway,experimenting on my wifes ,05 wrangler,neglected but not horrifying.did the non ph soap,did the iron decon,clayed ,then applied meguiars ultimate cmpnd.using a DA for first time,started out with a fairly lite pad(white) ,still scratches,went to a orange pad,fairly happy with results considering the age,all this on a test door panel.im like ok,didnt wreck anything.started on the hood,rear & front quarters....SUN came out....haze and flash hell.went back quick with DI water and clean microfiber.smudges and streaks all over..hood looks pretty good .nothing wrecked,do i rewash and start over? Thanx much

Registered Member

Re: newbie and the sun

[QUOTE=kwk;591804]Hello all you car obsessed folks.i just bought a 2015 ram ,...20,000 miles,1 owner,black metal flake,minimal chrome....anyway paint looks great for 4 yrs old.want to keep it that way.been on line and u tube you guys know all the top dogs.anyway,experimenting on my wifes ,05 wrangler,neglected but not horrifying.did the non ph soap,did the iron decon,clayed ,then applied meguiars ultimate cmpnd.using a DA for first time,started out with a fairly lite pad(white) ,still scratches,went to a orange pad,fairly happy with results considering the age,all this on a test door panel.im like ok,didnt wreck anything.started on the hood,rear & front quarters....SUN came out....haze and flash hell.went back quick with DI water and clean microfiber.smudges and streaks all over..hood looks pretty good .nothing wrecked,do i rewash and start over? Thanx much[ update: waited for sun to go down,went back with a black DA pad and scratch x 2.0,then meg spray on wax...i have other waxes but in panic mode.came out ok,nice shine for a 05 wrangler,dark green.but the scatch issues really havent been resolved.some yes,some no.1 scratch on the hood is 6" long,probably from winter snow broom removal.in Tn now...not a issue.]

Self-Banned

Hello Dear! I am happy to be here with you also!

Registered Member

I so apologize for late reply...still creeped out using the DI machine on the Ram...its black .overal paint is good.some scratches that are not bad....still no excuse to leave them there.maybe start by hand with scratch x.seems fairly benign.used it as a polish (on her jeep)after non ph soap, iron removal,clay bar,lite citrus based degreaser.rinse di water then maguires spray on wax on one side.then a combo wax polish on the other side...looks good,did i scratch it up? No clue.

If i understood you correctly: Sun came out while you had Ultimate compoundand it burned to the paint and now you cant get it off?

No problem really. We have a saying here in sweden "equally dissolves equally". Just start over again. Remember to work in thew shades and the surfaces has to be "cool to touch". You cant really do any premanent damage to a car using a DA

Registered Member

I was able to buff it out,lite pad soaked in di water and buffed with the da .came out pretty good actually.

Registered Member

Snozan,thanks for the encouragement.i sucked it up and did the whole deal on the 2 passenger panels.decon soap,foam cannon,iron removal ( overspray issue on the black plasic fender wells,aarrhg!) Claybarred the 2 doors,used meguires prep for lube,used the DA with white pad then black then orange and only scratchx 2.o ,went wellwrecked nothing.got some water spots and pad spinoff to deal with but scratches gone and no visible damage.the iron remover left some staining on the plastic fender trims.fixed one issue caused another.aparently i did not rinse well.have nice AR pressure washer ,no excuse.advuce on the plastic repair now?

Check this video #3 of the Recent Obsessed Garage Visits Meguiar's Headquarters.
    Spin out to 44 minutes into the video, where Nick Winn discusses M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and M40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner.
    As always, recommend to try a less conspicuous spot first.
    [video]https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?68851-Obsessed-Garage-Visits-Meguiar-s-Episode-3[/video
    https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ar-s-Episode-3]

Thread Information