• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie and the sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie and the sun

Hello all you car obsessed folks.i just bought a 2015 ram ,...20,000 miles,1 owner,black metal flake,minimal chrome....anyway paint looks great for 4 yrs old.want to keep it that way.been on line and u tube you guys know all the top dogs.anyway,experimenting on my wifes ,05 wrangler,neglected but not horrifying.did the non ph soap,did the iron decon,clayed ,then applied meguiars ultimate cmpnd.using a DA for first time,started out with a fairly lite pad(white) ,still scratches,went to a orange pad,fairly happy with results considering the age,all this on a test door panel.im like ok,didnt wreck anything.started on the hood,rear & front quarters....SUN came out....haze and flash hell.went back quick with DI water and clean microfiber.smudges and streaks all over..hood looks pretty good .nothing wrecked,do i rewash and start over? Thanx much

Re: newbie and the sun

[QUOTE=kwk;591804]Hello all you car obsessed folks.i just bought a 2015 ram ,...20,000 miles,1 owner,black metal flake,minimal chrome....anyway paint looks great for 4 yrs old.want to keep it that way.been on line and u tube you guys know all the top dogs.anyway,experimenting on my wifes ,05 wrangler,neglected but not horrifying.did the non ph soap,did the iron decon,clayed ,then applied meguiars ultimate cmpnd.using a DA for first time,started out with a fairly lite pad(white) ,still scratches,went to a orange pad,fairly happy with results considering the age,all this on a test door panel.im like ok,didnt wreck anything.started on the hood,rear & front quarters....SUN came out....haze and flash hell.went back quick with DI water and clean microfiber.smudges and streaks all over..hood looks pretty good .nothing wrecked,do i rewash and start over? Thanx much[ update: waited for sun to go down,went back with a black DA pad and scratch x 2.0,then meg spray on wax...i have other waxes but in panic mode.came out ok,nice shine for a 05 wrangler,dark green.but the scatch issues really havent been resolved.some yes,some no.1 scratch on the hood is 6" long,probably from winter snow broom removal.in Tn now...not a issue.]

Comment

Hello Dear! I am happy to be here with you also!

Comment

I so apologize for late reply...still creeped out using the DI machine on the Ram...its black .overal paint is good.some scratches that are not bad....still no excuse to leave them there.maybe start by hand with scratch x.seems fairly benign.used it as a polish (on her jeep)after non ph soap, iron removal,clay bar,lite citrus based degreaser.rinse di water then maguires spray on wax on one side.then a combo wax polish on the other side...looks good,did i scratch it up? No clue.

Comment

If i understood you correctly: Sun came out while you had Ultimate compoundand it burned to the paint and now you cant get it off?

No problem really. We have a saying here in sweden "equally dissolves equally". Just start over again. Remember to work in thew shades and the surfaces has to be "cool to touch". You cant really do any premanent damage to a car using a DA

Comment

I was able to buff it out,lite pad soaked in di water and buffed with the da .came out pretty good actually.

Comment

Snozan,thanks for the encouragement.i sucked it up and did the whole deal on the 2 passenger panels.decon soap,foam cannon,iron removal ( overspray issue on the black plasic fender wells,aarrhg!) Claybarred the 2 doors,used meguires prep for lube,used the DA with white pad then black then orange and only scratchx 2.o ,went wellwrecked nothing.got some water spots and pad spinoff to deal with but scratches gone and no visible damage.the iron remover left some staining on the plastic fender trims.fixed one issue caused another.aparently i did not rinse well.have nice AR pressure washer ,no excuse.advuce on the plastic repair now?

Comment

Check this video #3 of the Recent Obsessed Garage Visits Meguiar's Headquarters.
                Spin out to 44 minutes into the video, where Nick Winn discusses M39 Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber cleaner and M40 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner and Conditioner.
                As always, recommend to try a less conspicuous spot first.
                [video]https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?68851-Obsessed-Garage-Visits-Meguiar-s-Episode-3[/video
                https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ar-s-Episode-3]

Comment

OB,thanks for the link.ordered products suggested.I will be more careful with iron removal from now on. Ultimate compound knocked the scratches down but still there.2 applications with a DA and a orange pad.do i need to go to m105 or do i need a more agressive pad.I know you have not seen the scratches but one part of one 5" long scrat ch failed the finger nail grab test.not grabbing now but still visible.photos would be useless as it is black paint.thanx much.

Comment

A couple of questions.
                    1) You used a DA. Which one and what diameter pads (3 inch, 5 inch, 6 inch) ?
                    2) I'm not sure what the orange pads are that you used. The colors are not standard in the industry. Can you tell us the pad maker and whether they were foam, microfiber etc?

You can load your image from your PC to your Gallery on this website.
                    Then you can add it to a post.

See this thread,
                    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...g-Photo-Albums

Comment

Shinemaster,nice DA with variable speed increments( i did the 2,5,4 speed trick,2 apply,5 for application and the work,4 for polish,actually didnt have a polish compound,orderd but slowed the speed on last app. Pretty dang shiny).pad: hex logic(chem guys?) Foam pad.I just read the scratch x thread earlier about limited life span of the micro particles,i did not over work the compound icould see it fading during aplication.wiped off old compound with a cleam micro fiber cloth and a spritz of DI.Cleaned pad ,water chem guys pad cleaner and a brush.reaplied Megs UC.hit it again.totally removed the lite scratch thers,no finger nail drag on the worst one.maybe i need to lower my expectations.i will say even with pad prep with DI and a spin off the mgrs UC is not messy.not "chasing my tail" on clean up.last pass used Griots Complete Compound,just in case...it did the job as well but 10 times messier with particulates all over.a photo now would be NG as i just strip washed and did a carnuba wax.i have no gallery photos ...guess i should try.

Comment

Sorry missed one,6" pads on a 5" pbacking plate.was told this is a good idea for beginners due to potentialy / acidentally exposing the paint to the BP edge,niw i,ve tried it...makes sense.i do center the pads well on the smaller plate.please forgive my use and posting other co.,s products but as a beginner price,a kit is great, did not know Megs sold pads as well.

Comment

Aparently i havent been on site long enough to start a gallery.??

Comment

See if this works for you.

Scroll to top left of this page.
                            Look down a little and locate the Gold menu bar.
                            The 4th button over should be "Gallery- Photo Upload".
                            Click that button.
                            You should get a new page that has images from different galleries.

Scroll to top left of this new page.
                            Look down a little and locate the Gold menu bar.
                            Below that a little bit is a red menu bar.
                            Look to the far right for a button "Upload Photos".
                            Click that button.
                            You should get a new page that lets you upload images from your computer to your galleries.

Click the top "Choose File" button and navigate to where your image is stored.
                            Repeat for more images.

Scroll down and hit the "Upload/Submit" button to save to the gallery.

Comment

All uploads will be from the phone....hopefully not a issue.we are so out in the sticks here in E. Tn...we have sticks on top of the sticks.our internet acess is through our phones and a mobile hotspot device.Hinky flys most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');