• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front bumper rock chip repair tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front bumper rock chip repair tips?

Last time I was on this forum I started a thread asking for help on dealing with water spots and swirls... now the real deal is here for me, I received a fresh rock chip, first one since I bought it new.

I've done my homework by watching some youtube videos, I got a basic understanding of how the process works. However I have some doubts on how to proceed with the situation:

1. The exposed plastic is rough, the edges are prominent, should I smooth it down using wet sandpaper, claybar, or compound?
    2. The rock took the paint off completely and then scuffed the upper spot as well, as can be seen in the photo. I want to use touch up on the bare plastic spot only and not expand the touch up paint to a bigger area than necessary, though I'm unsure which will look better in the end. What would be the best practice here?

3. The touch up pen I got at the dealer has one tip instead of duel tip, will this provide a finish that blends well with other areas? Don't they usually use a base paint then follow up with a clear paint? Although I know it's possible to blend clear with base together, I don't know if it's the case with this pen. Does anyone here have experience using it?

This is the first time I'm faced with a rock chip, so I really could use some advice. Thank you!!

Re: Front bumper rock chip repair tips?

I'd recommend this tool. Works great.

Comment

Dr. Colorchip is the only way to go!

Comment

Thank you for the replies...

I learned of the fine paint pen from Larry's video, but in this case I already have a pen, would it really be necessary to buy another one?

Heard good things about Dr. Colorchip, maybe I'll use it for future spots when I run out of paint on this pen.

Comment

If Dr colorchip is the same as chipex (we have in Sweden) i would stay away from it. It won't last. Stonechip like that, i tend to use 1either 2 methods

1. Make the paint a solid paint. Mixing base with hardener

2. Mixing base with clearcoat

Then i'll use it like "dr colorchip". Let it try for some minutes, then gently leveling it with a rag soaked in Ethanol/Ethyl alcohol

If you're still not happy after that, you can wet sand it - this is how i do it

Comment

Slightly overfill the chip with your touch-up paint, maybe taking two coats. Let dry completely! Wet sand away the mound of additional paint. Polish with a compound to remove sanding marks.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');