• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this clear coat failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this clear coat failure?

I did claying, then ultimate compound and ultimate polish by hand. Then washed with quick detailer. Last I applied gold wax. Does it look like clear coat failure? . Car was not maintained from previous ower and area has lots of pollen, sap I should cover it.

Re: Is this clear coat failure?

no picture.

Comment

Ok I uploaded it.

Comment

I honestly cant see any clear coat failure. You mean on the left side? I see swirls, but that you can take care of

Comment

if it was cc failure with the cc being gone, you would have gotten color on the claybar and pads.

Comment

Originally posted by snozan View Post
            I honestly cant see any clear coat failure. You mean on the left side? I see swirls, but that you can take care of
            Because of the blurriness at the left part I worry if clear coat is failing.

Comment

Nah, well ofcourse i cant be 100% sure since i havn't seen it in person, but this is how a clear coat failure looks like (the one i know of)

Comment

Can you help us understand the image a bit better.

Is this an image of the front top of the roof?
                Does the car/van have a wide silver/gray stripe down the center?
                If a stripe, is it painted or a decal?
                Do not compound/polish a decal.

Is the area you are asking about where the bright sun is shining through the clouds?
                Others will add their thoughts, yet this looks like heavy scratching of the clear coat, rather than CC failure.
                These are deep and I don't know going after a whole top like this by hand is feasible. It may need a good DA to reduce them.

There is a cloudy line about 4 inches into the gray. I am wondering if this is residue that has not been wiped off where you stopped working?

Comment

Pahrs

Check out the posts of the Thursday Night at the garage.
                  It shows a set of bird induced scratches on a silver blue Colorado truck hood that required special tools and techniques to remove.
                  It also shows less deep scratches on a white GTI that could be taken out with a 3 in 1 product (or with mild compound followed by polish).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                    Can you help us understand the image a bit better.

Is this an image of the front top of the roof?
                    Does the car/van have a wide silver/gray stripe down the center?
                    If a stripe, is it painted or a decal?
                    Do not compound/polish a decal.

Is the area you are asking about where the bright sun is shining through the clouds?
                    Others will add their thoughts, yet this looks like heavy scratching of the clear coat, rather than CC failure.
                    These are deep and I don't know going after a whole top like this by hand is feasible. It may need a good DA to reduce them.

There is a cloudy line about 4 inches into the gray. I am wondering if this is residue that has not been wiped off where you stopped working?
                    The image is from the top of the roof.There is no stripe/declals. Yes it is residue and I was working by hand. Summer in greece is tough 40C/100F temperatures are common under the sun. Even working at 18pm there is too much heat and it dries within few seconds...
                    I am going to buy a DA polisher and pads etc and try again. With hand it seems impossible to do this.

The part that I had polished by hand (spend 20 minutes) seems ok still. However the rest of the roof looks like this

The blurry thing is visible at specific angles, in the last image it isn't visible. This blurry started when I applied UC in a hurry and couldn't wipe it. After some weeks tried to apply UC and UP but where I applied it the blur just reduced but now it is still visible.I hope that it isn't clear coat failure...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');