• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing with Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing with Kids

Does anyone have any recommended products for letting your kids help you detail your daily driver?

My kids (both under 5) love to help out to wash the car. I keep them away from the chemical stuff like wheel cleaner, etc., but they love to just help wash. We've found that the wash mitts are too big for them, some of the microfiber sponges are too big for little hands, waffle weave towels are a bit too large for them to handle well, the step stool I use for reaching the roof isn't the best for them to use, etc.

It's been fun teaching them about the two bucket method with grit guards, washing from the top down, etc. These are good things for them to learn. I want to encourage them to help, but I also don't want them putting swirl marks in the paint.

This got me wondering, I'm sure I'm not the only dad whose kids love to get involved. What does everyone else use? Does anyone have recommendations for kid friendly cleaning tools? A certain sponge that works great if you cut it in half, detailing brushes, a kid-friendly stool to help them get up to the top windows, etc.
    -Gonzo

Re: Detailing with Kids

Depending on their age and which vacuum you have , they may have advantages over you and I. They can fit in places to see under seats to vacuum junk out. This also has the advantage of discouraging sloppy eating habits or littering in the car.
    If you use rubber mats, that could be a good task outside the car.

Help grow the next generation of auto enthusiasts. Act with SEMA in their efforts to Take a Kid To A Car Show:
    More Info Here

Here is an image of me as a kid. Dad used to have me wax the '57 Cadillac bumpers and wax the wheels.

Comment

Gotta agree with Bear. In the beginning just accept that you are gonna have mess...like getting water soaked (kids just love that hose). Just be patient and enjoy the time spent with 'em.

Even at my age, I still remember fondly the time I (we) spent together 'in the garage'.

Bill

Comment

Found some great little detail microfiber mitts at parts store perfect for the 8 and 4 year old hands Can’t get the picture to post

Comment

Possibly something like these Fibermop microfiber mittens.
          3.6 inch by 2 inch by 1 inch.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');