Looking for help fact checking what I am being told by an autobody shop - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for help fact checking what I am being told by an autobody shop

Re: Looking for help fact checking what I am being told by an autobody shop

Sorry to see that you are having these difficulties, starting with the ouchie wreck.

I will post a different option for clearing snow.
    https://www.autogeek.net/auto-proedge-snow-tool.html
    Possibly snow birds will give other options.

I made a strong decision to stop dealing with snow or frost. So long ago that I no longer have any knowledge. Others on these forums have knowledge.

Registered Member

Very cool snow tool, Old Bear! Thanks for the tip!

The scratches on the chrome trim are at this point stuck. It is hard to remove them once they are in that condition. A polish may make them look better.

With regards to the paint. Those lighter areas look like either left over sanding marks or hazing left over from a rotary. Have you ever worked with a dual action polisher and either a compound or polish? Body shops are notorious for using glazes which will mask the painted surface. The true finish appears after the glaze has been removed after a few washes.

Registered Member

Hello The Guz. Thank you. Some one else mentioned to me something about cut and buff and machine glaze that went right over my head. I have done no auto body refinishing myself and I really need to understand this because I think this is it. I assumed the process went something like paint, clear (top coat), done. What is the purpose of a glaze? Is it to make paint job appear better than it is? Will it hide or camouflage scratches, etc? Is it applied on top of the clear? Does it matter if the top coat is cured or not? What is the proper way to remove the hazy finish? I know, a lot of questions but I think this explains the haze and I want to better understand how a glaze goes on, why it goes on, how it leaves a haze, how to remove the haze (polish? buff?) and how bad this is.

The bodyshop told me that it was caused by dust and impurity's from when the car was painted that were now coming out as the clear coat was curing. And that it's normal and that it is visible because of the black colour of my car. It can be polished out. Honestly, given the amount of haziness we were seeing, their explanation makes it should like they must have a pretty ****** (excuse me) paint booth. So here is a question...why would they think it was better to tell me it was dust in the booth instead of the truth? OMG...is it to hide scratches and imperfections so when they 'come out' weeks later after glaze washes off or evaporates, I would think that the scratches happened after the car was returned to me? I'm jumping way ahead here. It's been an unpleasant 7 months to say the least. Any chance you could find a few minutes to further explain glaze?

Glazes off no protection. They will fill in defects and will fade away after a couple washes. The reason they are used is resprays need time to outgas and cure. Waxing can hinder that process.

A body shop will use a rotary to remove the sanding marks as the respray is wet sanded prior to delivery. A rotary is known to leave holograms and not finish out as well (ie hazing, swirls). More noticeable on darker paints. To fix that you can either invest in the dual action polisher, pads and products to do it yourself. Or you can find a reputable detailer to do the work for you.

It is hard to say what is really going on without physically being there to examine the paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information