• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time clear coat fix a disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time clear coat fix a disaster

I tried clear coat yesterday on my entire black Elantra hood (big mistake for a newbie,) but the garage was too hot, and the clear coat looks sandy because I couldn't keep a wet edge. I used Rustoleum 2x Clear Cover, and yes, I know it wasn't the best kind of spray, but now it's done. I could get a smooth finish only in spots, the rest is either sandy or has runs. I'm very familiar with tools, as zi use them in my business, but spray painting is a disaster for me. After 3 coats I gave up. I need your help because none of the retail auto stores here (and there are loads of them) can advise me.

1-- What grit should I use to sand down the sandy finish (a pun?) I've already taken down the runs with a razor blade.

2--I have a random orbital sander and 1000 and 2000 wet-n-dry sheets, but I can't find it in wettable discs, which is what all the videos show. The 800 is actually a flexible rubbery sheet, blue on one side and yellow on the other, but I don't know what it's called. Lost the package.

3--Presuming I can smooth it out, how long should I wait before applying Meguiars Ultimate Compond? I did the spraying on 9/3.

The car's a 2005 that I bought used, so I don't expect perfection. I'm not looking for a professional finish, because it's too screwed up, just a glossy shine.

Re: First time clear coat fix a disaster

DUPLICATE of my other thread, now I don't know how to delete this.

Comment

Is your random orbital sander electric or pneumatic?

If electric, be cognizant of how much water you use and keep your area, tooks and hands dry.

Comment

Electric. Got it!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');