• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find 1000-2000 discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find 1000-2000 discs

Who carries wettable (probably not the right word, but the ones you use with water) discs for grits 1000-2000? I see only the black sheets in those grits in local auto stores.

Re: Can't find 1000-2000 discs

Detailing stores carry wet sanding disks for dual action sanders. They carry them in flat and padded.
    Here is a link to one online detailing shop and their #M TriZact disks.
    Detailing Supply Superstore - SAVE TODAY with warehouse prices on the largest selection of detailing products & accessories!

Here is a video with Jason Rose, Kevin Brown and Larry Kozilla.
    This is one of the best video I've had the privilege to shoot. Jason Rose and Kevin Brown are MASTERS of detailing and I learned an incredible amount of tech...

It does not take long (seconds) to burn through clear and paint.
    No need to ask me how I know.

Stay away from edges, body lines where you can cut through quickly.

Also spend time searching and watching additional resources.

Comment

Thanks, Old Bear. . Great video, better step-by-step than others I've viewed. It's my first time spraying. It was too hot in my garage, and the clear coat came out sandy-looking because I couldn't keep a wet edge, rougher than in the video, where they start at 1500. Would you suggest a rougher grit for smoothing down the texture first? I've done the whole hood, so hand-sanding isn't practical.

And, yes, I know now I should have practiced on a small spot first.

Do I have to wait before applying Meguiars Ultimate Compound? I sprayed on 9/3.

Comment

There are 4 parts to this video.
        You should be able to link to the other videos at the end of each one.

Comment

I would not go courser than 1500.

Check with the manufacturer of the paint on how long it needs to set up and how long it will be off gassing.

Comment

Many thanks!

Comment

Can't find part 3. Could you recommend a similar video?

Comment

I should have said four steps and not four parts.

Here is another resource. This is Mike Stoops with images, notes and at least one video full of tips on wet sanding. This is very good. Make sure to find the image of hand sanding that is really a video link.

Comment

Thanks. This is the first mention of 3000 I've seen. It's going to make the rest of my car look like s---.

Comment

You can also get 5,000 grit discs.

Did you notice in Jason Rose/Kevin Brown Video yesterday that they showed a soft interface pad?

Did you notice how Mike Stoops hand sand video shows flat hands on sanding pad and tight soft strokes?
                    Did you see his image showing how "NOT" to hand sand?
                    Got to keep those fingers from making pressure lines.

Comment

Here is a thought.
                      Any junkyard or friend with a black damaged fender or hood near you for a couple bucks?
                      Could you take a scrap panel and paint it with the same clear and let it set up?
                      Then practice your sanding and compounding/polishing on that first?

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');