• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car - What Should a Lazy Owner Do with the Finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car - What Should a Lazy Owner Do with the Finish?

Hey, All! I just got a new 2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (Quartz Blue Pearl). So far, I love it. But what should I do with the finish? Two things: 1) I will probably own this car for 10 years or more (I don't drive very much per year); and, 2) I'm lazy--I'm not the guy who will spend an entire day or two detailing my car.

After reading a bunch of threads here, I'm thinking of doing the following:

Step 1) Thorough wash, top to bottom.
    Step 2) Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (initial "dry" process).
    Step 3) Repeat but with the "regular" wet application.
    Step 4) Have a drink.

Do I really really really need to go through some elaborate wash-clay bar-polish-wax (or more) process?

Also: the dash is a rubberized material. Any recommendations for cleaning? Just a damp microfiber cloth or more? Same with the all-weather floor mats?

Also: tires--do they really need shiny stuff put on them or is that purely cosmetic? I mean, you don't shine both sides so it's not like the "preservation argument" holds water.

Finally: what to do in the winter when the daytime temperature won't get out of the 30's, the vehicle is filthy, but I don't want to experience hypothermia washing it?

Thanks for all of the yet-to-be-written advice!

Re: New Car - What Should a Lazy Owner Do with the Finish?

New cars sometimes have rail dust in the paint from being shipped. Would say clay it to get the paint cleaned deeper and then follow your plan. The cleaner the surface, the better your wax will bond.
    2011 Ford Mustang GT Cali Special
    2012 Kia Sorento EX

Comment

Yeah, you dont have to do anything you dont want to...

As mentioned, the wax will bond to a surface better when it is cleaner, so try to do the best on that. You might buy some sort of a spray on prep/cleaner that is a bit stronger.

You can probably use the Quick Interior Detailer on the dash, seems to work well and help pick up dust/dirt.

Yeah, tires are up to you.

Use warm water and wash in the sunnn
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

So after reading people's comments, I've decided to do the following:

Step 1) Thorough wash, top to bottom.
        Step 2) Clay bar.
        Step 3) Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (initial "dry" process).
        Step 4) Repeat (but with the "regular" wet application).
        Step 5) Tire shine (trying to decide if I like that or not)
        Step 5) Have a drink (probably a large glass of water...I'm funny that way).

Thank you all for the comments, I do appreciate it.

Comment

Here is another option

1. Wash
          2. Clay
          3. 3 in 1 Wax - This will remove any marring form the claying process
          4. Maintain with HCW - Don't worry about applying it over an all in one product.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, I got to it today: wash, clay bar, Hybrid Ceramic Wax ("dry" application as explained by Nick). Either using a clay bar is easy or I didn't do it right! ;-) I was actually kind of intimidated by the process having never done it (it wasn't a "thing" years ago). I had to use some polish on a small spot that the clay bar couldn't fix and overall?

It looks great!

I'm happy with the results EXCEPT why does my new car already have water spots on the windows??? And how do I get rid of them? Clay bar?

Next time: wash and "normal" HCW application for the winter.

Comment

Yeah I have seen window spots on new cars.

Did you clay windows at all?

I have had success with claying, glass cleaner, or some polish / compound on glass for spots. Even RainX can help...

Seems like 2 go througs sometimes to solve it.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

No, I didn't clay the windows because I didn't think they would need it. Now I see that they do. Glass cleaner didn't remove the spots.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');