• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard brown scaly gunk on RV logo with gel coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard brown scaly gunk on RV logo with gel coat

I'm suspecting I've got sun damage but the symptoms don't seem to align with the usual descriptions of oxidation. I have a 2016 Winnebago fifth wheel RV with a fiberglas/ gel coat exterior. Across the front of the nose cap is a large, white Winnebago logo (individual letters.) After a few months in direct sun, the logo has developed a cracked, scaly, hard brown "coating" that is mostly bonded to the white decal underneath. It looks like burnt brown sugar, if that helps paint the picture. The rest of the RV surfaces show signs of mild oxidation - milky white, thin, and cleans up with a little pressure. Anybody know what this formerly-clear, now-brown coating is and how I can get my white lettering back? Thank you -- D.

Re: Hard brown scaly gunk on RV logo with gel coat

Since it's the front of the fifth wheel, I picture all kinds of debris hitting it while traveling down the road. Maybe on one of your trips something landed there and then baked in with mother natures help? Or the vinyl letters coating has failed and turned brown and scaly like a bad sunburn. What have you tried for removal/cleaning?

Comment

Thanks John, it's definitely the latter -- what appears to be a failed coating. But it's just on the white Winnebago lettering - the surrounding areas are OK. I've been saving up a few ideas from other posts on cleaning, but won't be able to try them til this weekend. Wish me luck!

Comment

Do not overlook Winnebago as a good resource to ask this question.
        This is likely not the first time they have heard from a customer and they may have a best path for you.

Comment

Thanks Old Bear, I did try that but didn't find much success with that. I'll keep asking -- sooner or later, someone's going to know about it.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');