• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rubber cleaners, difference between them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber cleaners, difference between them?

I am looking for a dedicated rubber cleaner to clean the rubber seals around the door, trunk and the sunroof. I came across
    Meguiar's Marine/RV Vinyl and Rubber, Cleaner & Conditioner, 16 oz. M5716

and
    Meguiar's M40 Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner, 16 oz.

My questions are
    1 What is the difference between these two products, other than one dedicated for marine/RV use and other with no such distinction?
    2 I was looking at marine because I thought, it may come handy during winter. I believe winter salt is the one that is culprit with my issues (as in rubber conditioners not working like they are supposed to).
    3 Any of these better than the others for whatever reason?
    4 Which one do you think will be better for my use and why (if you can, just trying to understand).

I will be using these products in the northeast if that makes any difference. The vehicles, 2006 Sentra and 2015 Forester.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rubber cleaners, difference between them?

I live in the north also with lots of salt. I have always used a clear silicone spray lubrication (any brand) to clean and protect my rubber seals in the doors, trunk and sun roof. The last car I traded in was twelve years old and the rubber was perfect. Just spray on, wipe off to clean, and respray a little for protection and lubrication. Dealers sell their recommended rubber sealant but it is a paste, hard to work with, and expensive. Any silicone spray at the hardware store is just as good and by far the least expensive option.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');