• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What "Lubricant" to Use to Clay-bar Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What "Lubricant" to Use to Clay-bar Windows?

Hi! My new 2019 Subaru Crosstrek has water-spots on the exterior glass, especially the windshield. What should I use as a lubricant when using a clay bar on the glass? Or should I try cleaning off the spots with vinegar first before trying the clay bar? Also, my owner's manual specifically says to NOT use any products like Rain-X because of the Eyesight safety system cameras. Is there anything to use as a finish on the clean windshield that would be safe or just go bare and clean it often? Thanks!

Re: What "Lubricant" to Use to Clay-bar Windows?

The quick detailer that comes in the clay kit will work just fine. Glass Cleaner will work as well for a lubricant. If that does not get them out Meguiar's sells a glass kit. I have not had any issues with sealing the glass and any sensors associated with it.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Also as an Subby owner (2018), I've no problems using Rain-X (at all) on it.

Bill

Comment

I would use foaming glass cleaner for a lube for the clay. In the cool shade it will last while you clay. Good Luck

Comment

Follow-up: I clay'd just using water (after washing and rinsing off my car) which seemed to work (or at least improve things) but I won't know until tomorrow when it's sunny again. Oh, I also put on Rain-X after clay'ing.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');