• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing new car - to wait? 'body shop safe'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing new car - to wait? 'body shop safe'

Hi all

I am new to these forums but have been lurking for a few weeks now. I've purchased a new car (i30 Nline 1.6L turbo) and have been researching on the best way to look after it's paintwork. The car is black and currently in customs, and hopefully on its way to me shortly! The car was built early September, so i thought i would wait 2 months before doing a full detail. I know this is a topic with differing views, so i'm not too sure where i sit with this to be honest. I will either wait 2 months for a full detail and spot wash/detail in the meantime.. or i will go ahead and do the full detail not long after receiving it. I'm new to the detailing world and don't want to begin a routine that is overly complex resulting in only doing it once or twice and then never again. I'm in Australia as well so not too sure if our products are exactly the same!

If i were to wait 2 months - what is best to spot clean in the meantime? I've been reading that Ultimate Detailer is not 'body shop safe'?

The full detail process i will follow (either right away or in 2 months) is:

- Nxt Generation Car wash
    - Clay bar
    - Ultimate polish
    - Nxt Generation Paint Sealant

I was planning on Maintaining with:

- Nxt Generation Car wash
    - Hybrid Ceramic Wax (the new spray one)

What do you guys think of the above system? Can you suggest some sort of safe spot cleaner if i am to wait 2 months before a full detail? I've never detailed before so it is all a little daunting to me... especially doing it on a new car

oh.. and everything will be done by hand.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Re: Washing new car - to wait? 'body shop safe'

Hi, welcome to MOL!

Being that it is a new car, you can do whatever you like the day it arrives at home. OEM paint done by the manufacturer can be worked on the day they roll off the assembly line. This paint is fully cured.

It is when the vehicle is repainted do you have to wait the 30 days. In this case, it is waiting the 30 days before sealing it with a wax. On these paints you can wet sand orange peel out, dirt nibs, sags, etc within 24 hours of being painted if not sooner depending on what hardener was used, how it was cured, the humidity level etc.
    Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
    2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
    2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thanks Smack

I didn't think it applied to factory paint, but i emailed a Mequiars Rep and he told me to wait 3 months. I thought that at least waiting 2 months would be on the safe side.

Any thoughts on my detailing and maintenance process and products?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you--got my new Subaru Crosstrek Limited 1-1/2 months ago. Going from the sticker on the door, it was made two months earlier. I washed it, clay-bar'd, then used Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I think it's a great product.

I don't think with a brand new car and modern paint quality that there is any reason for you to use a polish at this time unless you have visible areas of scratches or paint swirling (but I'm sure more knowledgeable detailers might disagree...or maybe not!). I had ONE spot that I used Meguiar's polish on and that was it (and it cleaned up beautifully).

What I've learned in a brief time on this forum is that you can do as much or as little as you want to your car. A big part of that is how much time and energy you want to put into it.

Comment

I've been wondering if the polish is needed as well but from what i have read and researched the Ultimate Polish is quite a light abrasion and ok for a new car. I'll be working by hand as well which will minimise the force. Do you guys think that a polish is needed with a brand new car? Maybe i can skip the polish first time around which would be a lot quicker. I've read of people using a 'Glaze' for a new car instead of a polish?

Are you happy with how the clay and Hybrid Ceramic Wax turned out? I've been wondering how people manage to do the front of the car with all the curves and indentations?

I don't think i will be as enthusiastic as some on this forum but i can already tell that all of this is very interesting to me and i am actually excited to get to work on the car!

Comment

The clay is very easy, you just use a lot of the detailing mist and it just slides over every curve and edge (LIGHT pressure only!). The HCW is even easier--initial application: after washing, don't dry, lightly spray it all over the wet car, then wipe with microfiber towels.

Comment

Thanks for that. You make it seem easier than i have imagined! Did you tape up any areas you don't want to get any clay or wax on? maybe this only applies to polish..

Comment

No, it's not necessary. You can even use the HCW on your wheels.

Comment

To reiterate you can compound, polish or protect new paint. The paint is already cured as it goes through a different process. A repaint is a different process and the range is somewhere between 30-90 days. It is always best to ask the painter or body shop if this is the case.

With that said you don't need to worry about body shop safe.

Claying has the potential to marr the surface. Meaning instilling defects to an extent. A polish or cleaner wax will remove that marring.

There is nothing wrong with polishing a new car. The paint is not always in the best condition. You will find many stories of bad dealer prep and the so called DISO (dealer installed swirl option). But I would consider the polishing step per my first statement.

Here is another option, you can actually use HCW as your form of protection and skip NXT. Protect with HCW as your base layer. Wash and periodically reapply HCW. You will be good to go. You can use products like ultiamte quik detailer, ultimate quick wax or even ultimate waterless wash to maintain HCW until you are ready to reapply HCW.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by rover137 View Post
                    Thanks Smack

I didn't think it applied to factory paint, but i emailed a Mequiars Rep and he told me to wait 3 months. I thought that at least waiting 2 months would be on the safe side.

Any thoughts on my detailing and maintenance process and products?

Thanks!
                    The list looks great. Perfect for a new vehicle to both get it in shape when you bring it home as well as maintain it. You could also pick up Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax anywhere to wash the car when its not to dirty but you want to freshen it up.
                    Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
                    2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
                    2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

Thanks for that - i think i will polish as well now as it sounds like it is a great idea. I assume Ultimate Polish would be the best choice?

I think i see what you are see here in that HCW could supersede NXT Gen Sealant and then Quick Wax could be my maintenance to boost the HCW after every other wash. The reason why i went with NXT Sealant and HCW as a maintainer is because i thought they would compliment each other nicely and that the NXT sealant would last longer than HCW - making HCW a good maintainer? I was also reading that HCW bonds better if the car already has some sort of sealant on it? Do you think HCW lasts as long as NXT?

Thanks!

Comment

Good suggestion! i was thinking that actually but maybe that can be a later addition. I will already be buying many products initially haha. Maybe the wash and wax can be for my maintenance wash and the nxt gen for when i do a full process?

Comment

Originally posted by rover137 View Post
                          Thanks for that - i think i will polish as well now as it sounds like it is a great idea. I assume Ultimate Polish would be the best choice?

I think i see what you are see here in that HCW could supersede NXT Gen Sealant and then Quick Wax could be my maintenance to boost the HCW after every other wash. The reason why i went with NXT Sealant and HCW as a maintainer is because i thought they would compliment each other nicely and that the NXT sealant would last longer than HCW - making HCW a good maintainer? I was also reading that HCW bonds better if the car already has some sort of sealant on it? Do you think HCW lasts as long as NXT?

Thanks!
                          Here is Nick's response on HCW.

99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Wow - most advanced and durable product on offer! I was reading on another thread here that one of the Meguiar guys said it works best as a finisher in addition to your favorite wax or sealant.. it was in the massive HCW introduction thread - can’t locate the link atm as I’m currently on my phone. Kind of confuses things considering the advice given in your links.

Comment

One of the 3 or 4 quotes that i found:

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');