• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed on waxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on waxes

Hi peeps,

I been loving Meguairs since the first day I laid my hands on the UQD and UQW!

However I went on a purchasing impulse and bought tons of Meguairs products, and I don't even know if I ever need them lol

I have a Gloss Black Honda Fit GE6 (2009) and I need to know:

1) In which order to I detail my car?
    2) In which order or which of the waxes I owned is best for my car
    3) Does the 3 in 1 removes water marks and swirl marks?

Many thanks

Re: Advice needed on waxes

My close bud recommended I do the following:

1) pre rinse
    2) foam car and rims with uw&w and let it dwell for awhile
    3) wipe with wash mitt and rinse off. Dry the car afterwards
    4) spray ultimate wheel cleaner on rims and body and let it turn purple
    5) rinse
    6) two bucket method wash with uww
    7) rinse

As for waxes, based on what I have, he recommended

1) apply 3 in 1 to utilise the cleaning and removing of swirls n water spots
    2) apply ulw
    3) lastly apply hcw

Question :

Is what he said is what I have to do? Seems lots of steps!
    In terms of waxing - I don't have to use my uqw or the recently purchased black wax?

Sincerely
    Confused guy

Comment

Let us start with one change.

Start with your Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. Do one wheel at a time, from start to finish for the individual wheel.
      "Say What? No top to bottom?"
      Correct.

See Nick Winn and Mike Stoop comments in this link:

DO NOT PRE-RINSE WHEELS. Use on cool wheels and brakes in the shade.
      1. Spray a generous amount, covering the entire wheel.
      2. Let the product dwell for 2 - 4 minutes. Do not let product dry on the surface.
      3. Spray off with a powerful stream of water.
      4. Dry wheels to prevent water spotting.

Note: Agitation may be required for heavily soiled or neglected wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
        Let us start with one change.

Start with your Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. Do one wheel at a time, from start to finish for the individual wheel.
        "Say What? No top to bottom?"
        Correct.

See Nick Winn and Mike Stoop comments in this link:

DO NOT PRE-RINSE WHEELS. Use on cool wheels and brakes in the shade.
        1. Spray a generous amount, covering the entire wheel.
        2. Let the product dwell for 2 - 4 minutes. Do not let product dry on the surface.
        3. Spray off with a powerful stream of water.
        4. Dry wheels to prevent water spotting.

Note: Agitation may be required for heavily soiled or neglected wheels.
        Thanks for the awesome pointers!

But is it ok to rinse first, just to get the loose dirt n grime off, then rinse

Dry the wheel

Then proceed with uwc?

Comment

Not my decision and depends what type of grime.

As you look at the Meguiar's Trainers comment's, notice that the product is a thick gel. The idea is for it to cling to the wheel as it cleans. If you make the wheel wet, the gel will tend to slide off.
          If the wheels were hot, I would rinse them first, as you do not want to use it on hot wheels. Do not let it dry on the wheels. I would always expect to agitate with a soft wheel brush.

Since brake dust can scratch my polished aluminum wheels, I would prefer to get those large particles off before putting a microfiber towel on the surface to dry the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusGuy View Post
            My close bud recommended I do the following:

1) pre rinse
            2) foam car and rims with uw&w and let it dwell for awhile
            3) wipe with wash mitt and rinse off. Dry the car afterwards
            4) spray ultimate wheel cleaner on rims and body and let it turn purple
            5) rinse
            6) two bucket method wash with uww
            7) rinse

As for waxes, based on what I have, he recommended

1) apply 3 in 1 to utilise the cleaning and removing of swirls n water spots
            2) apply ulw
            3) lastly apply hcw

Question :

Is what he said is what I have to do? Seems lots of steps!
            In terms of waxing - I don't have to use my uqw or the recently purchased black wax?

Sincerely
            Confused guy
            Are we allowed to apply wax on top of wax? My friend's recommendation seems to make me apply multiple wax o.o

Comment

The Ult. Wheel Cleaner works really well... But I tend to rinse first, spray it on, agitate with a brush, then rinse off.

Its a little more pricey, so maybe the rinsing and agitation lets me use less. I also dont use it every time.. I have some of the regular wheel cleaners to use in between that are a bit cheaper.

As far as the steps thing, its not really that many steps, he just kind of over-broke it down.

We would say (with using the HCW):

1. Clean each wheel/tire.
              2. Rinse car.
              3. Wash car with two bucket method.
              4. Rinse
              5. Spray on HCW in sections, and rinse those sections
              6. Dry

If you are going to be detailing a couple times a year, and then HCW or other product after washes, I probably wouldnt want to use the UW&WA. Its just going to be expensive and then covered up with the HCW or detailing. I would buy Gold Class or #62 Shampoo and Conditioner, or something similar.

The detaling steps he mentioned are pretty much what I did a few months or so ago, and seems to be doing quite well with the HCW follow up after each wash. But that would just be a couple times a year. You can also add in clay, tar remover, etc before the 3-in-1.

As far as which waxes/products... thats just kind of a choice to make.

You could use the Black Wax instead of 3-in-1 (I wouldnt think about removing swirls with them by hand). Or the Ult Quick Wax instead of HCW. But yeah, you are a little doubled up in those areas.

Just kind of want to think:
              1. Clean
              2. Polish
              3. Wax
              4. Wax (if you want second coat)

5. Then after washing product in the future (HCW, UQW)
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                The Ult. Wheel Cleaner works really well... But I tend to rinse first, spray it on, agitate with a brush, then rinse off.

Its a little more pricey, so maybe the rinsing and agitation lets me use less. I also dont use it every time.. I have some of the regular wheel cleaners to use in between that are a bit cheaper.

As far as the steps thing, its not really that many steps, he just kind of over-broke it down.

We would say (with using the HCW):

1. Clean each wheel/tire.
                2. Rinse car.
                3. Wash car with two bucket method.
                4. Rinse
                5. Spray on HCW in sections, and rinse those sections
                6. Dry

If you are going to be detailing a couple times a year, and then HCW or other product after washes, I probably wouldnt want to use the UW&WA. Its just going to be expensive and then covered up with the HCW or detailing. I would buy Gold Class or #62 Shampoo and Conditioner, or something similar.

The detaling steps he mentioned are pretty much what I did a few months or so ago, and seems to be doing quite well with the HCW follow up after each wash. But that would just be a couple times a year. You can also add in clay, tar remover, etc before the 3-in-1.

As far as which waxes/products... thats just kind of a choice to make.

You could use the Black Wax instead of 3-in-1 (I wouldnt think about removing swirls with them by hand). Or the Ult Quick Wax instead of HCW. But yeah, you are a little doubled up in those areas.

Just kind of want to think:
                1. Clean
                2. Polish
                3. Wax
                4. Wax (if you want second coat)

5. Then after washing product in the future (HCW, UQW)
                Many thanks for your input boss!
                I do have light swirls and water spots, but i dont wanna splurge any further on compound..

So the black wax or 3in1 can do the job?

Also where does the fast finish fit in then?

Comment

Here is the introduction thread for "3-IN-1 Wax".

Note from post #81

Originally Posted by imacarnut
                  Is this going to be a suitable replacement for Black wax? Is Black wax discontinued (or going to be) as well?

Answer Nick Winn: Yes absolutely a much more premium replacement & yes Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax is being phased out.

Comment

Here is a link to Nicolas Winn's Introduction to Using Ultimate Fast Finish:

Comment

This Window and Wheels Detailing review video.

Product Review - Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish - Looks, Water Beading and Dust Resistance
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI9QRx9MNCc

Yes, I too have found on my truck that when I go to car shows, that UFF does not attract dust like other products do.

Now....... My thoughts will be foreign to you. Why? On my two garaged cars, I never use "rust juice on my paint" (AKA water).
                      I use Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax or D115) and then put UFF on after each panel is cleaned.
                      Personally, I don't count on 1 year or 6 month UFF longevity and the cars are always garaged.

Comment

Some of the waxes might give a little more gloss.
                        Here is an image that will provide an idea of what Ultimate Fast Finish looks like as the final finish.
                        If I use another product over UFF...... Dust sticks based on the top finish.

Comment

Here is the introduction thread for "3-IN-1 Wax".

Note from post #81

Originally Posted by imacarnut
                          Is this going to be a suitable replacement for Black wax? Is Black wax discontinued (or going to be) as well?

Answer Nick Winn: Yes absolutely a much more premium replacement & yes Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax is being phased out.
                          This closes the deal!

Thanks man!

Ok now I got a spare unused black wax .... Hmmm

Comment

This Window and Wheels Detailing review video.

Product Review - Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish - Looks, Water Beading and Dust Resistance
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI9QRx9MNCc

Yes, I too have found on my truck that when I go to car shows, that UFF does not attract dust like other products do.

Now....... My thoughts will be foreign to you. Why? On my two garaged cars, I never use "rust juice on my paint" (AKA water).
                            I use Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax or D115) and then put UFF on after each panel is cleaned.
                            Personally, I don't count on 1 year or 6 month UFF longevity and the cars are always garaged.

Wait, I'm Abit confused here now regarding waxes and uff?

So my take on waxing my car will be

1) 3 in 1
                            2) ulw
                            3) hcw

Where does fast finish fit in, and is it needed to begin with?

Comment

Ultimate Fast Finish is not required.

The video clearly shows a major benefit of the UFF product, when used as the top most finish.
                              I don't normally use a wax or sealant except what is in the waterless washes.
                              Then UFF goes over that.

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a truly great product, It is a synthetic polymer sealant rather than a wax.

I can't discuss HCW. It does not fit my personal criteria. It spreads by water.

Others will chime in.

Here are some other things to check, especially in the product instructions.
                              * Is the product you are using safe to use when the car/wheel is warm/hot or in the sun?
                              * Will the product stain plastic/rubber? Should you mask off those items?
                              * Will it cause glare if used on your windows?
                              * Most of these are applied much thinner than products from 20 years ago, so this helps residue removal.

Just for Halloween fun. Mess with your brain. I am not sure you have any true "wax" products in your image.
                              Don't count on the word being in the title. They may be sealants.
                              Others might find one with older carnauba.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');