faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Thread: faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Registered Member

faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Hi everyone,

Bit baffled here. I have very, very, very faint swirls on the inner wheel arch rear passenger side of my 2019 Tiguan. So I took a yellow applicator pad and tried ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish.
    I really worked the area as hard as humanly possible alternating with the misses. But the swirls are not bothered at all... I mean we have been at it at 20 minutes in total on a very small 10 x 5 centimeter area.

How is this even possible? It feels like the products are doing absolutely nada. This should go out super easy. But no dice.

Please advise:-)

ps: did I mention the swirls are very faint

Re: faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Bit baffled here. I have very, very, very faint swirls on the inner wheel arch rear passenger side of my 2019 Tiguan. So I took a yellow applicator pad and tried ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish.
    I really worked the area as hard as humanly possible alternating with the misses. But the swirls are not bothered at all... I mean we have been at it at 20 minutes in total on a very small 10 x 5 centimeter area.

How is this even possible? It feels like the products are doing absolutely nada. This should go out super easy. But no dice.

Please advise:-)

ps: did I mention the swirls are very faint
    Should have used the red one for compound. Keep in mind, VW paints or German in general are very hard paints

Are these scratches by chance and not swirls? Can you catch your fingernail on said marks on the paint?
    Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
    2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
    2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

It sounds like you are working by hand. If so then you are experiencing the limitation of what can be removed by hand. A machine and pad will net better results.

Are you sure they are faint defects? It is possible that they are deep RIDS which require more work with the aid of a tool.

Thread Information