• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Hi everyone,

Bit baffled here. I have very, very, very faint swirls on the inner wheel arch rear passenger side of my 2019 Tiguan. So I took a yellow applicator pad and tried ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish.
    I really worked the area as hard as humanly possible alternating with the misses. But the swirls are not bothered at all... I mean we have been at it at 20 minutes in total on a very small 10 x 5 centimeter area.

How is this even possible? It feels like the products are doing absolutely nada. This should go out super easy. But no dice.

Please advise:-)

ps: did I mention the swirls are very faint

Re: faintest of swirls not impressed by ultimate compound or ultimate polish

Originally posted by Jeroen1000 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Bit baffled here. I have very, very, very faint swirls on the inner wheel arch rear passenger side of my 2019 Tiguan. So I took a yellow applicator pad and tried ultimate compound followed by ultimate polish.
    I really worked the area as hard as humanly possible alternating with the misses. But the swirls are not bothered at all... I mean we have been at it at 20 minutes in total on a very small 10 x 5 centimeter area.

How is this even possible? It feels like the products are doing absolutely nada. This should go out super easy. But no dice.

Please advise:-)

ps: did I mention the swirls are very faint
    Should have used the red one for compound. Keep in mind, VW paints or German in general are very hard paints

Comment

Are these scratches by chance and not swirls? Can you catch your fingernail on said marks on the paint?
      Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
      2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
      2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

It sounds like you are working by hand. If so then you are experiencing the limitation of what can be removed by hand. A machine and pad will net better results.

Are you sure they are faint defects? It is possible that they are deep RIDS which require more work with the aid of a tool.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Get a DA
          Use the right pad

You cant blame the products, they are what they are and work.
          Get another product, you'll have the same results with poor technique.

Compound with a hard pad, any brand.... polish with the finishing pad as it has filling ability for the swirls. OR use a medium pad to push in those aluminium particles to finely sand the top coat of the swirls - then keep on top of it with polish

IVe used poor technique on many a dark car, and i get good results

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');