• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old guy observations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old guy observations...

After 27 years of being away from the detailing business, I'm buying some stuff to pursue my passion again. Full detailing is great, but my passion is polishing, most of my purchases have been towards that purpose (aside from normal interior stuff).
    My initial reaction to the wide range of products available now was kinda like a kid in a candy store, luckily being an old guy, I resisted temptation.
    After a couple of months, I stood back and looked at my stuff and it's pretty much Meguiars stuff. I like the new 110/210 combo, not sure what else you need for almost anything, silicon glaze, love it and used a similar product decades ago, gold class car wash, ultimate polish and rubbing compound and a bunch of the applicators, I love the buttery softness when they are well saturated with wax. My favorite microfiber is the Meguiars ultimate, I think they release good when given a good snap and I got a dozen. I got the soft buff pads and back plate for my 7" and bought a small rotary (3-5") and a 21mm long throw d/a. There's a lot more, but the majority have been good old reliable and always improving Meguiars products.
    I'm very interested in all the new polishing stuff for 3" and smaller pads/backing plates and have a 1 and 2" set on it's way. I used a 3" rotary and 110/210 on my Z71 Silverado grill with great results, 110/210 with different pad combos should do about anything.
    Sorry for rambling, it comes from passion and it's automatic...lol

I also love scratch-x 2.0 for polished acrylic...

Re: Old guy observations...

What did you use back in the day?

Comment

A 7" rotary, I had a Meguiars foam pad that had its own maroon plastic backing plate. 3M waffle pads were available, but compared to todays foam they wore out quickly especially at the edges. I used 3M machine buffing compound and their dark/light polish.
      I never owned or ran a D/A polisher until a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Turk View Post
        A 7" rotary, I had a Meguiars foam pad that had its own maroon plastic backing plate. 3M waffle pads were available, but compared to todays foam they wore out quickly especially at the edges. I used 3M machine buffing compound and their dark/light polish.
        I never owned or ran a D/A polisher until a month ago.
        I was a late comer to d/a as well. I got one in 2011, but didn't use it until 2013.

I remember some of those 3M products.

Comment

I also used PPG DX3-30, folded a cotton rag,saturated and used like the clay bars are used. I'm amazed by the slower buffing speeds are all the D/A specific pads and compounds/polish.
          I looked at my old polisher, a 30+ year old Ryobi, really well made tool (then) model SP1800A, two speeds- 3400rpm and 1900rpm. All the weight of this polisher is directly over the pad, well made gearbox with no felt weight at the trigger.
          Are the new clear coats too sensitive for high speed polishing? The 3M polish I used would create a surface that would scratch with terry cloth with my machine and at that speed.
          Honestly, high speed gets nerve wracking in some situation and I'm glad for all the options.
          Planning on polishing our black kitchen sink this weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');