• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Remove Rain-X from Windshield Safely - One Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Remove Rain-X from Windshield Safely - One Method

Purpose: This post is to help members remove Rain-X from their windshield safely. The method described here works, and does not involve guessing or wondering. Lastly, the method described here for the removal of Rain-X does not apply for a user who simply wants to remove streaking, because streaking is simply the result of poor buffing of the product.

Situation: A person has applied Rain-X to their windshield, and now he or she wants to remove the product from the windshield because of residue build-up or poor application of Rain-X that has left patches of blurred areas on the windshield.

Background: I applied Rain-X to my windshield poorly, and noticed that precipitation tended to collect (bead) more on the windshield area with the Rain-X. The problem was very evident because I did not apply the product liberally, and instead used too little product, which caused noticeable areas on the windshield to appear as blurred patches where water would bead. While driving at speeds of 20+ mph, the problem was not evident because the Rain-X repelled the water.

Material Required:
    1. Meguiar's Water Spot Remover, A3714, 14 oz., Liquid
    2. Water (faucet water works fine).
    3. Windex.
    4. 3-5 Terry Cloths.

Rain-X Bonding: Rain-X has an amount of water beading agents that adhere to the windshield. In order to remove Rain-X, you have to use a product that will remove this chemical bond between Rain-X and the windshield. I have read so many posts from people who either were suggesting or guessing what would work to get this job done. Some of these suggestions were completely unnecessary and had the potential to ruin the windshield, and the vehicle's paint in the event of overspray. There is absolutely no need to try these End of Days methods. Meguiar's makes a liquid product called Meguiar's Water Spot Remover that has some very microscopic polishers, which gently remove impurities on the surface of paint, glass, chrome, and hard plastics. These polishing agents chemically release the bond between Rain-X and the windshield effectively and safely, without harming your windshield.

Rain-X Removal Process (not in direct sunlight):
    1. Thoroughly clean your windshield using any cleaner. A clean windshield free of debris (bugs, bird droppings, sap, etc) is required to ensure the process is worth your time.
    2. Liberally, apply the Meguiar's Water Spot Remover to a terry cloth or polishing buffing pad, if you are using a small random-orbital machine.
    3. With a plan to clean the windshield in segments (1/2 a windshield at a time), apply the cloth or pad onto the windshield and moderately apply force to the windshield, and begin polishing the windshield. Be careful not to get the product on any black matte plastic trim that is at the base of the windshield by your hood. Once you have polished a segment of windshield, the product will likely have dried. I used a Griot's 3" Small Random-Orbital machine to polish the windshield. One side took about 3 minutes.
    4. With a clean, wet terry cloth, begin removing the product from the windshield. You will want to remove all the visible product first, then rinse the cloth, and continue removing the product. Do not worry about some streaking that may remain, because you will remove it in the following steps.
    5. Repeat Step 3 for the other side of the windshield.
    6. Repeat Step 4 for this side of the windshield.
    7. With another clean terry cloth, liberally spray your windshield with your favorite glass cleaner. I chose to use Windex that has some Vinegar. With the cleaner on the windshield, clean your windshield for a streak-free shine.
    8. You can check if the Rain-X is removed by spraying water on the windshield and checking for areas that appear to have an oil-base, smearing appearance.

Conclusion: Removing Rain-X from the windshield is tedious, but people should not resort to any aggressive methods that can damage the windshield or the car. Thirty minutes and some calorie-burning polishing with some Meguiar's Water Spot Remover is all that is required. If you decide to reapply Rain-X, I recommend applying it using the spray bottle instead of the small, pour bottle so that Rain-X is distributed across the glass evenly and in equal amounts.

Last edited by paris; Nov 10, 2019, 04:34 PM. Reason: Changes were not saved the first time

Re: How To Remove Rain-X from Windshield Safely - One Method

Good info. Although Rain-X is a good product every car I have ever applied it to has caused the windshield wipers to chatter when using. Before Rain-X no chatter immediately after applying chatter. Changing the w/w blades have no effect. Trying to remove Rain-X is difficult. Hope this works.
    Bill Strobel
    aka theamcguy
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');