• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with UP Haze and removing Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with UP Haze and removing Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Hi all

I recently bought a brand new black car and did a full detail - Wash/Clay/Ultimate Polish/Ultimate Liquid Wax/Hybrid Ceramic Wax base coat. I'm planning on doing this full process 1-2 times a year and using a maintenance process of Wash/Ult Quick Wax and/or Hybrid Ceramic Wax.

I had some issues with UP and the car smudged quite a bit. I think i may have applied it to too larger sections or used more product than i should have? I did all this by hand and do plan on buying a DA for the next polish in 6-12 months time so hopefully this, smaller work areas and less product will help. I spent a good 4-5 hours hand buffing out the haze but it was still noticeable on some areas of the car despite this. It did end up looking pretty slick though with a massive deep shine and reflection! It also brought out the fleckles (not sure what they are called) in the Metallic paint which was nice.

I think i also applied too much Ult Liquid Wax as well as this didn't help the haze and seemed to add to it. I ended up using 1/3 of a bottle (2 coast) and clean out the foam pad saw almost half of this come back out. A wash the next day seemed to help but then applying the base coat of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (1 panel at a time & in the shade) seemed to smudge it again. It isn't too noticeable and hopefully the next coat will eliminate most of this.

Are there any other tips to reduce smudges from Ult Polish, Ult Liquid Wax and Hybrid Ceramic Wax?

I was also wondering, when i do my full process again, how do i ensure that the HCW and ULW are completely removed from the car? I know that Ult Compound would remove this but the paint is still brand new so i don't really want to do that just yet. Will the Clay and Ult Polish get most of if off and prep the surface enough?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Problems with UP Haze and removing Hybrid Ceramic Wax

I recently bought a brand new black car and did a full detail - Wash/Clay/Ultimate Polish/Ultimate Liquid Wax/Hybrid Ceramic Wax base coat. I'm planning on doing this full process 1-2 times a year and using a maintenance process of Wash/Ult Quick Wax and/or Hybrid Ceramic Wax.
    Yeah, thats about what I have been doing.

I had some issues with UP and the car smudged quite a bit. I think i may have applied it to too larger sections or used more product than i should have? I did all this by hand and do plan on buying a DA for the next polish in 6-12 months time so hopefully this, smaller work areas and less product will help. I spent a good 4-5 hours hand buffing out the haze but it was still noticeable on some areas of the car despite this. It did end up looking pretty slick though with a massive deep shine and reflection! It also brought out the fleckles (not sure what they are called) in the Metallic paint which was nice

The UP isnt supposed to dry, so may have been an issue. Generally if it dries, just wipe some more fresh over it. Work in cool area, etc..

I think i also applied too much Ult Liquid Wax as well as this didn't help the haze and seemed to add to it. I ended up using 1/3 of a bottle (2 coast) and clean out the foam pad saw almost half of this come back out. A wash the next day seemed to help but then applying the base coat of Hybrid Ceramic Wax (1 panel at a time & in the shade) seemed to smudge it again. It isn't too noticeable and hopefully the next coat will eliminate most of this.
    Sounds like used way too much. The Ult Waxes go on super thin, like should need an angled light to see them. If you have residue you can see to remove, its probably too much. But yeah, a wash and a day or two in the sun seems to take care of it.

Are there any other tips to reduce smudges from Ult Polish, Ult Liquid Wax and Hybrid Ceramic Wax?
    For the base coat of HCW, not really... I applied a fair bit and wiped it around while drying, and got some smudges. But went away fast.

For the follow up coats, you kind of want the broad mist, not a heavy spray. And use the nozzle on your hose to spray with a bit of pressure... you dont want the water to just flood over the panel. Doing that, my last wax went good.

I was also wondering, when i do my full process again, how do i ensure that the HCW and ULW are completely removed from the car? I know that Ult Compound would remove this but the paint is still brand new so i don't really want to do that just yet. Will the Clay and Ult Polish get most of if off and prep the surface enough?
    Unless you go to the Deep Crystal Coating, I wouldnt worry (bonding issue)... Otherwise, if the wax is durable to survive clay and UP, great.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, maybe it was drying before i buffed it off. I was pretty quick to buff after applying it but towards the end i got over it and maybe broke down the 2 doors into 3-4 sections at a time. Conditions were about as good as they could be - in my garage at night. I did spend like 4-5hrs just on this one step.

I 100% applied the ULW too thick then as i could see a coat easily - in fact i kept applying it until i could see it! I'll go thinner next time.

I was thinking of after applying HCW to move it around with a micro F to spread it before using the supreme shine to fully dry it? Did you do panel by panel for the additional coats? I was reading you only need 2 sprays for most panels and 3 for bigger (roof, bonnet)? How often are you topping up with HCW? I'm still to do the after coat as i've been distracted fixing up a paint chip. I went to lift the wiper up to wash it and it took a little chunk out of the edge of the bonnet near the windshield. You don't even know it's there unless you are the driver (which i am!). I ordered that Langka stuff to smooth out the touch up paint which cost me $150 after shipping to get to Aus!

Good point. If the wax is that durable then a win for the consumer. When i was claying not too much came off the car which is to be expected i guess as the car was only built 2 months ago. But, afterwards i didn't seem to get that glass feel that I've been reading about. I used maybe half a bottle of the QD and spent 1-1.5 hrs claying? Maybe i just don't know what i'm looking for in terms of feel.

Thanks for your response!

Comment

I was thinking of after applying HCW to move it around with a micro F to spread it before using the supreme shine to fully dry it?
        I might have put a spray on the Supreme Shine, but I went straight to it. However, I also probably used too much.

Did you do panel by panel for the additional coats?
        Well, first coat was whole car... second time was whole car and flowing water. That didnt go bad, but not super.

Third time was better mist kind of in front 1/3, middle 1/3, back 1/3, and heavier spray, and seems to have gone pretty good.

I was reading you only need 2 sprays for most panels and 3 for bigger (roof, bonnet)?
        Yeah.. I'm still going more than that, probably since it is so unusual. But the more of a spray seems to help with excess.

How often are you topping up with HCW?
        I really only get to wash like once a month, so each time. Yeah, I got enough paint and windshield chips... should have done them before now.

Good point. If the wax is that durable then a win for the consumer. When i was claying not too much came off the car which is to be expected i guess as the car was only built 2 months ago. But, afterwards i didn't seem to get that glass feel that I've been reading about. I used maybe half a bottle of the QD and spent 1-1.5 hrs claying? Maybe i just don't know what i'm looking for in terms of feel.
        Its hard to not do right... but what you can try is put your hand in a zip-lok sandwich bag, and feel the surface... see if any roughness/bumps are noticable.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm a bit worried about using too much as it is $60 a bottle down here. I did 3 sprays per panel for the under coat and used maybe 1/4 of a bottle. So much excess wax in my pad that i can't get out!

Ok cool, I might try that technique for my second coat and see how i go.

Yeah, i can understand that. Feels counter-intuitive to put so few sprays on and then just wash it all off with water. I might try moving it all around with a micro F before rinsing and drying with the SS as i've read that gives great coverage + minimises streaking.

I never thought washing my car would be so satisfying! That sounds similar to what i plan on doing but maybe i'll throw in UQW every 2 weeks so i'm alternating... Probably a waste of money tbh. My black car seems to collect dust within hours of washing since I've had it.

I did try the whole bag thing and no bumps were felt but i just couldn't seem to get that glass like feel that i saw in one of Mike's vids. My hand would get caught and not run smoothly over the panel. Oh well, has to been be better than before at least.

The car did come up really nice apart from the smudges (and chip) and the beading is crazy - something i've never experienced before. Even the girlfriend noticed the beading and asked if it was because of all the 'stuff' i've been doing to the car!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');