Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member Jeepster04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eastern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    26

    Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    Anyone notice that drying aids, more specifically the hybrid ceramic wax, harms their drying towels? Ive had some drying towels that I got many years ago from auto detailing solutions. Ive used quik wax for a long time and didnt really notice a decrease in performance. I wash them from time to time, not everytime I wash a vehicle.

    Fast forward to present, started using ceramic wax and even though I washed them after every vehicle wash, they wont soak up warer at all anymore.

    Anyone else notice this or was it just time for new towels? I dont want to ruin new towels.

    And yes I spray the hybrid wax off but some remains on the vehicle.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

  2. #2
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    8,070
    Rep Power
    91

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster04 View Post
    Anyone notice that drying aids, more specifically the hybrid ceramic wax, harms their drying towels? Ive had some drying towels that I got many years ago from auto detailing solutions. Ive used quik wax for a long time and didnt really notice a decrease in performance. I wash them from time to time, not everytime I wash a vehicle.

    Fast forward to present, started using ceramic wax and even though I washed them after every vehicle wash, they wont soak up warer at all anymore.

    Anyone else notice this or was it just time for new towels? I dont want to ruin new towels.

    And yes I spray the hybrid wax off but some remains on the vehicle.
    Hi Jeepster04,

    A couple questions, what specific drying towels are you using & also, can you please explain your washing method for your microfiber towels including detergents, chemicals used, etc.

    Thanks
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

  3. #3
    Registered Member Jeepster04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eastern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    Waffle Weaves.

    Ive had them for ~8yrs and Ive always washed on hot with tide and dried on low heat. They went down hill quickly over the summer.
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

  4. #4
    Registered Member Jonesey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    51
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    I found the same issue with my marine water magnet towels (the big blue ones). When I did the first application of Hybrid Ceramic wax, the towel seemed to work better than usual, absorbing water right away. The next time i dried another car, it took a lot of wiping to get the towel to start absorbing. I find I need to start with the windows, where I can really apply pressure to get the towels to start absorbing water. Once they are damp, they seem to work better.
    I did another car with the HCW, and the towels again absorbed right away when the HCW was present. I have washed them again, using my usual procedure which is the same as jeepster04's, but have not yet had a chance to try them again. Once it looks like a few dry days in a row, I'll see what happens.
    Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

  5. #5
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    8,070
    Rep Power
    91

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    OK I am looking into this subject for you guys. I will keep in touch with info.
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

  6. #6
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    Cant speak for HCW, but yes these new cermamic based coatings can ruin towels. They can make them hydrophobic, or hard and rough feeling. Some guys are keeping a bucket with apc to immediately throw their towels into as they're done to try and mitigate the problem. With some coatings though its a lost cause as the product will bond and seal to a towel just as it would paint. Ive personally started using less loved towels to buff off a ceramic spray with the expectation that they may have decrease performance or be trash after use.

  7. #7
    Registered Member Jeepster04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eastern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,248
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Drying Aids Harming Drying Towels?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastidiotus View Post
    Cant speak for HCW, but yes these new cermamic based coatings can ruin towels. They can make them hydrophobic, or hard and rough feeling. Some guys are keeping a bucket with apc to immediately throw their towels into as they're done to try and mitigate the problem. With some coatings though its a lost cause as the product will bond and seal to a towel just as it would paint. Ive personally started using less loved towels to buff off a ceramic spray with the expectation that they may have decrease performance or be trash after use.
    Shame that this wasn't mentioned in the directions or anything. Ive always wondered if the drying aids (quick wax for example) harmed my drying towels but they always seemed to perform just fine. Drying towels are far too expensive to ruin them with a drying aid such as the hybrid ceramic wax....

    I've got to assume the same can be said for the new ceramic QD... It will ruin microfibers...
    Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. what to do with wet drying towels?
    By andy86i in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
  2. Microfiber Towels and Drying CAr Help
    By goldenlight in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
  3. Drying Towels
    By Johnson in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
  4. drying towels
    By agp423 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul 3rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
  5. MF drying towels
    By dave_st170 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jan 11th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •