• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best choice?

I have recently purchased a 1964 1/2 mustang that has an amatuer paint job showing some swirl marks. This car is in show condition other than it needs to be properly cared for. I do not want to repaint it until after the car show season for the year but I am looking for a way to make this car look alot better. The paint job is a couple of years old but has sat in a garage while the previous owner was deployed in the Guard. If anyone can tell me what the best products and the best way to apply them I would be greatful. I am a beginner but I can get help if anything becomes too difficult I am looking for the best overall way no matter how difficult. Thank you.

One route would be to use a Porter-Cable polisher and some No. 9 swirl remover (tan bottle). Do not mess with a rotary buffer and more aggressive cutting compounds unless you have been trained how to use em'. You may also get satisfactory results by hand using the No 9 or some ColorX (black bottle). ScratchX will also help with light swirls but be ready for a tired arm. Glaze like No 7 (tan bottle) will help hide but not remove some swirls. Your best first try will probably be ColorX.
    It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to detail all of it.

Comment

Hi phipps1980, to MOL!

To care for any car, in any condition, the basic process is always the same. Meguiar's calls it the 5-Step Paint Care Cycle (click here for the full description) of washing, surface prep, polishing, protecting and maintaining.

The particulars of the car and its condition, combined with your personal preferences and tastes, will determine which steps in the process get the most attention and what products to use.

The reason Meguiar's makes so many different and so many similar products is because they know that every customer will have their own needs and preferences and will want to implement the 5-step cycle in a way that suits them personally. There is no single "best" product for all users and all cars but there are many good choices.

I like to start with a good washing (usually with Meguiar's Gold Class Wash) then carefully evaluate the finish to plan how to approach it. Doing small test patches with your planned products/techniques before committing to the whole car is always a good idea.

PC.

Comment

Re: What is the best choice?

Hi phipps1980,

Seeing this is your first post, Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by phipps1980
        I have recently purchased a 1964 1/2 mustang that has an amateur paint job showing some swirl marks. This car is in show condition other than it needs to be properly cared for. I do not want to repaint it until after the car show season for the year but I am looking for a way to make this car look alot better.
        If the paint has swirl marks in it, then in order to remove them you're going to need to remove enough paint from the surface to level the paint flat again.

You can remove the swirls, (remove a little paint), by hand or machine, working by machine will be a lot easier and produce dramatically better results.

Working by hand will mean purchasing a couple of tubes of ScratchX and spending a Saturday in your garage massaging out the swirls with enthusiasm and passion.

Working by machine will mean investing in a dual action polisher and then a pad kit and a few cleaner/polishes.

We can help you do either, which direction would you like to go?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I am a long way from a professional or expert but I can tell you that I "used" to do everything by hand. Then we got a DA polisher and WOW what a differance. Ive never seen results like what I was able to produce using the polisher. I completely removed all the swirls out of my daily driver.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/719605

2002 SOM WS6 Trans Am - M6 - 3.42 gears
          Performance Mods: Jet Hot LT headers, Custom ceramic coated 3" ORY, SLP LM, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Volant Intake, Strut Tower Brace.

Apearance Mods: Racing Stripes, MBA Head Plate Cover, Battery & Fuse Box Covers, Silver gauges, Window tint.

Mods Waiting to be installed. BMR SFC's

Future Mods.. ADR wheels
          Nic

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');