• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

snow removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow removal

Is there a preferred method for clearing snow off of the car other than the brushes sold at the local walmart or parts store? Is there a risk of them damaging paint. I haven't noticed damage so far but thought I would ask to see if I need to change my practice.

Re: snow removal

Park indoors? Yeah, I know not possible. I don’t have fancy, special use items. I don’t fully touch the paint surface, glance over it leaving a snow film to melt or blow off. If not icy, I use a gloved hand. Obviously, the goal is to not touch the paint. Never jump in a car covered in 4-6” of snow and take off. That snow will blind you flying into your windshield and the snow on your roof will blow off onto a car behind you.

keeping car clean and was waxed with a long life sealant at the start of winter helps having a slick surface helps a little bit to get snow to slide off.

I keep a bottle of ice remover in the trunk, but using it on ice likely removes wax too.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

Getting rid of snow on a car is pretty hard that is why I have to move to a new house with a garage. No matter how hard I tried, I tend to leave a scratch on my car.

Comment

Yeah, I tend to try to leave as thin a layer of snow as possible, just missing the paint.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If it is a light now you could use a leaf blower. otherwise use a brush with soft bristles. A good coat of wax helps.

Comment

Thanks, sounds like keep doing what I am doing. I appreciate the feedback and definitely try not to touch the paint.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');