• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Dawn remove UP residue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Dawn remove UP residue?

Planning to use Dawn to remove Ultimate Polish residue (polishing oils). Will it remove it? I want nothing on the clear coat at all and don't want to go out and buy a pile of IPA, when I have lots of Dawn under the kitchen sink. Thanks.

Re: Will Dawn remove UP residue?

If you have any glass cleaner around the house, that should work. Not sure about Dawn.

Comment

Hmmmmmm...glass cleaner. Never thought of that. I understand Dawn will removed wax so that was my plan if it removed the polishing oils in Ultimate Polish. However, I would think Windex would definitely remove polishing oils and leave nothing behind. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Most panel wipes are alcohol based, which is essentially glass cleaner.

I remember Mike Phillips saying that glass cleaner was already at proper dilution ratios for to use in panel wipe applications.

Comment

i have found the foaming glass cleaner works better and sticks where you spray it. that way you can let it sit and soak for a minute to let it work before wiping/washing it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
            Planning to use Dawn to remove Ultimate Polish residue (polishing oils). Will it remove it? I want nothing on the clear coat at all and don't want to go out and buy a pile of IPA, when I have lots of Dawn under the kitchen sink. Thanks.
            I asked this same question to a Megs customer service rep, and they recommended a brush and a product such as Dawn. To be honest, it was an asswhip. Then I tried the "school eraser" method and that was much easier with less worry about Dawn running down on the paint of the car. I followed up with Megs Back to Black plastic trim after I erased off the residue. Came out great.

Comment

Dawn/dish soap leaves leaves surfactants behind so it could make one think that the surface has been cleaned when it is masking. With that said polishing oils are not very durable.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am going to go with glass cleaner. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');