• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product Recommendation instead of 3M Perfect It for new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Recommendation instead of 3M Perfect It for new paint

Looking for some product guidance.
    My 66 Mustang is getting out of the paint booth this week. Metallic Silver base with 3 coats of clear on top.

There's a bit of orange peel that needs to be addressed and polished out.

My painter recc using the 3M Perfect It kit, but I'm not huge on the costs or performance of 3M products.

I plan to cut it down with 1500 wet, then 2000 wet before polishing.

What products would be best to work through on the Compounding, Polishing, Swirl Elimination from the Meguiars line?
    For what it's worth, I'm running the Porter Cable DA polisher with Hex Logic pads.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Product Recommendation instead of 3M Perfect It for new paint

Not sure how hard your clear is, but I was able to remove 1000, and 1500 on single stage with M100 and green hex pads. Never had any luck with the orange or yellow..

I'd consider picking up some microfiber pads for that task. M100 cuts really hard though. They have the new M110, but I haven't tried it yet.

You might even want to pick up a rotary to cut the sanding marks quickly, and polish with M205 on the PC.

With the newer Megs systems, you only really need the M100 and M205, as the M205 is considered a polish/swirl remover

Comment

Re: Product Recommendation instead of 3M Perfect It for new paint

megs M100 with a twisted wool pad on a rotary. orange pads on my da works great with m100,too but more time consuming. follow up with m205 polish with an orange pad on my pc 7424

if youve never used a rotary, its not bad. the mistake most people make is starting with high rpms. thats not necessary. you can start with a lower rpm to get the feel and work the rpm up as ya learn how it works.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');