• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow Stain on Chrome Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Stain on Chrome Wheels

Purchased used chrome wheels for my silverado. Wheels are OEM from 2015 LTZ Silverado. Noticed on one of the wheels like the chrome has peeled off with some yellow staining. Before I go purchase every chrome polisher on the market, any advice? I haven't tried anything on them. Thank you all in advance!

Re: Yellow Stain on Chrome Wheels

Kind of looks like someone curbed them, and just chose to sand the rough edges.

If it is just down to the bare metal, you wont be able to do anything other than keep the yellow shiny.

If you have some paint cleaner like Ult Compound, I'd give it a go over with that and just see what you get.....
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Chrome is the last metal in a multi-step process. What youre seeing is the nickel plating that comes before the chrome. Nickel plating looks nice but you never see it as the final plating because it will oxidize and tarnish. Not much you can do at this point short of painting them or paying to have it replated in chrome.

Comment

I had a car years ago, that had what I thought were chromes wheels. Turned out they were some kind of chrome looking wheels, with a shiny coating over yellow plastic. The picture is hard to determine perfectly, but that looks exactly like my old wheels. When real chromed wheels flake, there is usually a copper color, perhaps nickel, or flat metal color left behind, depending on the chrome process. I am in Vegas so my bet is plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
          I had a car years ago, that had what I thought were chromes wheels. Turned out they were some kind of chrome looking wheels, with a shiny coating over yellow plastic. The picture is hard to determine perfectly, but that looks exactly like my old wheels. When real chromed wheels flake, there is usually a copper color, perhaps nickel, or flat metal color left behind, depending on the chrome process. I am in Vegas so my bet is plastic.
          Plastic? I would assume Chevrolet Silverado LTZ wheels would not be plastic, but I'm no pro. Looks metal to me, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by QuickSilver777 View Post
            Plastic? I would assume Chevrolet Silverado LTZ wheels would not be plastic, but I'm no pro. Looks metal to me, lol.
            I agree, a Sliverado would not have plastic wheels. I did not read the post well, and looked at the picture, which to me appeared to be just wheel caps, and not an actual wheel. My old car that I refereed to had plastic wheel caps that had a chrome plating, over the yellow plastic. My apologies to all for my error.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');