• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Tape line after using Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Tape line after using Ultimate Compound

Hi all,

So I just taped off a section on the hood to focus on the area that I want to attack a minor scratch. I am using a DA with Chemical Guy white foam pad. I did a couple of passes with Meguiar Ultimate Compound. After I removed the blue painters tape, I notice an outline of the tape has formed. I hit the area with M210 on a finishing pad a few times, but the outline is still visible at certain angle.

Did I hit the area too hard with the compound? While I taped it off, I didn't really limit my passes strictly within the taped area, I did let the pad go over and beyond the area I taped off, but I can't imagine that's how I imprint the outline.

It is minor and I can only see it if I look for it, but you know how it is if you are OCD. Any suggestions on how to remove the outline?

I tried to capture it on camera, but it just wouldn't pick it up.

Thanks.

Re: Help: Tape line after using Ultimate Compound

This happens sometimes, when people tape off a section, and polish inside the square. What happened is that the paint is now lowered in that section.

You might be able to polish it out, but since paint is already thin, you might want to consider living with it.

Many detailers who use tape, only do so to protect trim because of this type of event occurring.

Comment

Thanks.

I am thinking about just hitting that area a few quick pass with Ultimate Compound again. It just surprised me as I didn't think Ultimate Compound was that aggressive. The car has never been polished by DA before, all previous "correction" was done by hands, so I can't imagine the paint is too thin at this point.

Comment

Can’t you just do the rest of the panel so it is all even

Comment

Most likely. Maybe not the entire panel, just the area affected and hopefully, it will be gone once a few passes are done.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');