• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with faded Honda Milano Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with faded Honda Milano Red

Hi all,
    I am very new to the detailing world and to this forum (as you can see this is my first post)
    I bought a 2010 honda accord in milano red that had not been taken care of by its previous owner and had been parked under the sun quite a lot.
    As a result some of the paint has faded pink
    I have tried searching in this forum but it appears that the threads are so old that I can't see the photos anymore, or people just stopped replying to the thread to the point that it seems like there's no solution.
    Searching around Honda forums made things more gloomy as most owners seemed to have given up and lived with the pink or completely repainted the car.
    I really have hope that someone in this forum might be able to help me as I'm really reluctant to repaint the red!!!

This is a video to show the area of concern, the trunk is still PINK in some areas though the scratches are mostly gone

This is of the bumper, although despite appearing worse prior to application, even applying UC by hand restored the red.

This is what the pad looks like after the 2-3 passes on the trunk

So this is what I have done
    1. washed the car with Meguiar's gold class shampoo
    2. clay bar
    3. dried and applied meguiar's UC starting by hand with the bumper, and as it wasn't effective on the trunk, I moved on to use a DA polisher up to ~5500 rpm.
    I think i did the trunk in 2-3 applications with the DA polisher. The DA polisher I got is from supercheapauto Australia and it's a basic model (rockwell shopseries) along with the stock pad it came with.
    4. applied gold class carnuba wax by hand

Could I have done something differently to improve the depth of the red?
    Is the paint permanently damaged?

Appreciate any input
    Thanks !!!!!!

Re: Help with faded Honda Milano Red

it seems a 2010 honda would have a basecoat/clearcoat paint job. that being said, it looks like clearcoat failure. that being, the clearcoat that is sprayed on top of the basecoat(the red) is shot as in theres no clearcoat to protect the base,which is why there is red on the pad and why the red faded to pink.. was the claybar red,too?
    theres nothing that can be done to protect staight basecoat other than clear.

Comment

Thanks for the reply man
      The claybar didn't pick up any red!

Comment

It may also be a tinted clear. Some manufactures would tint the clear coat of paint with some of the base coat, or similar color, like a red metallic. That could be why you're pulling red onto your pad. The videos are a little hard to tell what's bad/good. But, Honda paint has been notoriously soft, so you're bound to be thin for how much paint you have left. I wouldn't compound more than necessary.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');