• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Hi everyone, i have wanted to polish and bring back the shine on the bonnet of my car which i think has oxidation(it just looks dull and not shiny) so i clayed the bonnet and decided to use ultimate compound. I didnt get much of a difference using a machine but then noticed some marks and imprints the compound has left behind. Wtf is going on!

Image 04528830-55-D0-4812-BCCF-B8431-DE3-ECF5 hosted in ImgBB

Re: Meguiars Ultimate Compound

A little difficult to see from the pictures as it doesn't seem to be of high resolution. I suppose you are referring to the somewhat dull finish, which is some type of marring left behind after using compound. Have you tried following it up with Ultimate Polish? That should bring the shine back and should be done every time after compound is used.

Comment

Originally posted by White_Turbo View Post
      A little difficult to see from the pictures as it doesn't seem to be of high resolution. I suppose you are referring to the somewhat dull finish, which is some type of marring left behind after using compound. Have you tried following it up with Ultimate Polish? That should bring the shine back and should be done every time after compound is used.

If you can zoom up on the picture it you can see the marks it has left behind, I just bought the ultimate compound expecting to get my paint clear and shiny but it made it worse. I don’t want to spend more money on the polish if it’s not going to make a difference. How can I make the picture clearer?

Comment

The rock chips up towards the front?

Ultimate Compound usually leaves a great finish. The polish is designed to deliver even more gloss after.

What was yoir method of application? Hand? If so, what type of applicator did you use?

If by machine, what kind of pad?

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
          The rock chips up towards the front?

Ultimate Compound usually leaves a great finish. The polish is designed to deliver even more gloss after.

What was yoir method of application? Hand? If so, what type of applicator did you use?

If by machine, what kind of pad?

I applied it with a machine with a soft microfibre pad, and its not the rockchips im worried about its those small white lines the compound has left(also the polish didnt remove water spots and bird droppings) im not sure if you can see it in the picture but if you zoom in you should be able to. Is it worth getting the car detailed professionally as i think they will remove all the imperfections.

Comment

What machine? It is hard to tell from that photo you posted on what we should be looking at.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
              What machine? It is hard to tell from that photo you posted on what we should be looking at.
              Its a cheap rockwell 8 inch DA polisher, how can i upload a better picture so you guys can see what im tlling about.

Comment

He is another picture more close up, zoom up to see the white lines i am talking about and also the dull finish.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundertiger652 View Post
                  I applied it with a machine with a soft microfibre pad, and its not the rockchips im worried about its those small white lines the compound has left(also the polish didnt remove water spots and bird droppings) im not sure if you can see it in the picture but if you zoom in you should be able to. Is it worth getting the car detailed professionally as i think they will remove all the imperfections.
                  Those white lines are called "crows feet".

The only way to fix that is to re paint.

This happened to one of my cars in the past. Not much can be done to prevent this type of thing, unfortunately. More than likely Ultimate Compound revealed this condition.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
                    Those white lines are called "crows feet".

The only way to fix that is to re paint.

This happened to one of my cars in the past. Not much can be done to prevent this type of thing, unfortunately. More than likely Ultimate Compound revealed this condition.
                    dang thats not good to hear. Is it just the clear thats affected or the base coat aswell. If so i would prefer to sand down the clear and shoot some more on, and for the rest of the car i think the previous owner has used the brushes at those car wash places and has scratched the paint. I have used scratchx 2.0 and remove those scratches but not that happy and want a better finish. What should i do

Comment

He is another picture more close up, zoom up to see the white lines i am talking about and also the dull finish.

https://imgur.com/0qS2WPR
                      To me this looks like clear coat fracturing. Which means a repaint to repair it. It is noticeable as the compound has migrated its way into the fracture. This is also probably contributing to the dull finish.

Clearcoat Fracturing versus Clearcoat Failure Pictures courtesy of Jacob aka timaishu The term Clearcoat Fracturing by Dave aka tuscarora dave Clearco
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                        To me this looks like clear coat fracturing. Which means a repaint to repair it. It is noticeable as the compound has migrated its way into the fracture. This is also probably contributing to the dull finish.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...t-failure.html

ok i think i should leave it then, as for the rest of the car ive used the compound on the rear quarter panel by hand and hasnt damaged the paint at all, is there a way to tell if the bonnet or car has been painted before?

Comment

dang thats not good to hear. Is it just the clear thats affected or the base coat aswell. If so i would prefer to sand down the clear and shoot some more on, and for the rest of the car i think the previous owner has used the brushes at those car wash places and has scratched the paint. I have used scratchx 2.0 and remove those scratches but not that happy and want a better finish. What should i do
                          Those marks go all the way through the paint, usually. You might have to sand to metal, prime, base coat, and clear.

If you're still not liking and all the major swirls and scratches are gone, try using an fine polish like Ultimate Polish. Usually a couple passes with that, and the gloss will be very nice. After that is done give it some protection.

Lighter colors can be a challenge to make "pop". My car is white, and has M26 Hi-tech Yellow Wax paste on it right now. It looks crisp, and glossy.

I have done some cars where no matter what I do, nothing really makes it "pop". Take my mom's Saturn Ion. It's a dark grey, and has a horrible respray on it. I had to sand off some of the orange peel, compound, polish, and wax it. I would never recommend sanding factory clear coat though. That paint responds well to harder, more dense pads (Lake Country Hydrotech, Rupes) to really get the gloss effect.

Comment

Because i dont have a good da polisher with the proper pads i sort of want to leave it for someone else to do the job right, well at least i know the bonnet needs painting which isnt a big deal but the colour match for this particular colour is hard to get right. So i think instead of buying more products and not getting the best results i should just leave it to the pros who have the right tools lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');