• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound vs Scratch X 2.0 on Painted Plastic Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound vs Scratch X 2.0 on Painted Plastic Trim

Hi all,

I am wondering which product works better (or should be used) on painted plastic trim. My car's A pillar is covered by a plastic trim that has a gloss black finish. Initially, I buff the trim using a Chemical Guy white pad with Scratch X 2.0. The result was quite good. However, my OCD really kicked in and I wanted to see if Ultimate Compound would improve the finish. I followed up with M210 after Ultimate Compound.

I am extremely shocked that it actually made it worse than using Scratch X 2.0 alone. I totally understand that you need to use the right products for the right material. Is this a case using the wrong product? I didn't think it would matter since the plastic is painted, but based on the result, it seems to suggest so.

Here is a side-by side shot (It is probably needless to say that the right side looks much better and is the Scratch X 2.0 side):

I will hit it with Scratch X 2.0 again hoping I can bring the crisp back.

Thanks.

Re: Ultimate Compound vs Scratch X 2.0 on Painted Plastic Trim

Take a look at this thread. There is not much difference in aggressiveness between these two products. You are more than likely going to need to follow up with a polish as these are typically on the soft side. It takes some trial an error to get the finish right on soft paint.

What was the exact process.

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...t-surprise-you!
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Thanks. I have come across that thread also, so I understand the aggressiveness scale between Ultimate Compound and Scratch X 2.0.

Regarding the process:

Right side - this was my first attempt. All I did there was two application of Scratch X 2.0 with the white Chemical Guy foam pad and nothing else to follow up.
      Left side - this was on top of the Scratch X 2.0 (as I thought I could improve/refine it further). I did one application of Ultimate Compound and follow up with M210 (both using the white Chemical Guy foam pad).

It seems like the additional combo of Ultimate Compound/M210 reversed the work I did with Scratch X 2.0.

Comment

You may need less product and less passes with M210. Possibly a softer pad. I am not sure how good or bad those pads are that you are using,
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks. I will try that and see.

Comment

Update:

I re-did the step using Scratch X 2.0 this weekend (using the same Chemical Guy white polishing pad), and I am convinced that Scratch X 2.0 worked a whole lot better than Ultimate Polish/M210 in this instance. This may perhaps be a case of certain products work better than others on different panels (in this case, a gloss black finish on a plastic A pillar cover). This can also be because of lighting, so I don't really know.

I did two applications of Scratch X 2.0 (2 passes each application) and was able to bring the crisp reflection back again. I probably have taken more paint off than I needed in this testing, but perhaps Scratch X 2.0 is just a better product for painted plastic trims.

Left: Scratch X 2.0
            Right: Ultimate Compound/M210

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');